vanessa - pull ups?

iVillage Member
vanessa - pull ups?
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:05am
did you get a chance to try them with less assistance? how are they going?
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:10am
yeah, but it's still pretty sad. i dropped the assist by 10 measly little lbs and could only do 2... when i dropped 10 more, i couldn't even do 1! so i did 3 sets of 2, but did a really controlled negative on the way down both times. also tried to visualize more on squeezing my shoulder blades together. anyway, it's going to be a long, slow process, but i think i will alternate between negatives and drop sets. i also think i'll need to lose weight if i ever want to lift my own bodyweight!

on the plus side, the bent over dumbbell row is such a good exercise that i can't believe i've been wasting my time on the machines... and i could totally see the difference between pulling my shoulderblades together and really lifting with my back vs. letting my arms do the work. so thanks for all of your tips.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:30am
don't get discouraged about the pullups - i'm sure you'll progress faster than you think. but it's true that you have to factor body weight in - you can't compare yourself and your progress to someone who weighs 20 lbs less than you.

that's cool that you are enjoying the free weights so far - that's all i've been doing lately too and i find i get a better workout in less time.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 11:07am
definitely... i can't believe i waited so long to use the free weights! i'm so glad i finally decided to make the leap... not only do i get everything done in less time, but i definitely felt it the next day even using less weight than i had been using on the machines. not only that, but i feel it where i'm *supposed* to feel it (e.g. bench press really hit my pecs and not my triceps like the chest press machine was doing).

go free weights!