spinning tips?

iVillage Member
spinning tips?
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 10:21am
jeez, it's so quiet around here without jean!!

so i have this trial membership to the gym i'm considering joining and i'm going to go try a spinning class today, which is the main reason i'm interested in joining the gym. i haven't spinned, or spun, or whatever the past tense is, for about ten years, so i'm basically a complete beginner...

anyone have any tips or suggestions for making my spin more effective, more enjoyable, etc.?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: jenindc
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 10:31am
sorry, wish i could help... i've never spun either. but i'm very curious to try it once i get back to the states, so let us know what you think!

it is quiet here w/o jean. :(

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 10:56am
It's just like riding a bike! (Sorry, I had to do that.) You've done it before so just remember your water and expect your rear-end to be sore for the first few classes. It's also a good idea to arrive a few minutes early so that the instructor can help you properly adjust your bike. Proper form makes the workout even better; don't sit too heavily in your seat. When standing and pedaling, you should be able to balance yourself with just the tips of your fingertips touching the handlebars. The work is in your legs. Keep your feet parallel to the ground; don't point your toes upwards or downwards. Relax and enjoy!
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 5:53pm
The biggest thing that I found out in my spinning class is to wear spandex. Definitely better for spinning, at least for me.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 9:45pm
I own a pair of those padded bike shorts, but my butt still hurt after spinning, I think one of those gel seats would be a great investment....also, a HUGE bottle of water! I always finish mine before the end of class.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 12:41am
LOL, it's nice to be missed, even if it's because I'm such a chatterbox! When I left for college my mom said she finally realized how much I talked because it was so quiet in the house. I've only tried spin but I'd definitely recommend the padded pants. I never got the gel seat because I didn't like the class, but I would have gotten that if I did. Oh, I just realized you've probably already done the class. How did it go?

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 9:24am
i think i'm going to bring my gel seat next time. i assume that i can use the gel seat that i have for my bike on the spinning bike, i don't see why not.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 9:29am
it was HARD! my legs were mush after class and it was a good ab workout too. i think i'm going to join that gym for the spinning. i think spinning even twice a week is going to really boost my fitness. plus the gym is so convenient - it takes me 7 minutes from the time i leave my office until i'm in the gym, changed, and ready to work out.

my tushy hurts today. i think i'm going to bring my gel seat next time, and also wear my new heartrate monitor and see exactly how hard of a workout it is.

and yes, i did wear spandex!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 9:33am
On padded shorts and gel seats.....

Your sit bones will still hurt even if you've got padded shorts on, at least until they get used to having pressure on them. The padded shorts make short rides better, but if you're in the saddle for, say, an hour, you'll just need to toughen up those bones! Been there done that.....

As far as seats go, I much prefer a harder seat. It seems counterintuitive, I mean, why would you want a hard seat instead of a soft one? I guess it depends on what hurts. On a soft seat, when I'm sitting on my sit bones, I've got all this seat pressing on my inner thighs and genital area because I've sunk down into the padding in the seat--major after-effects from riding. If I'm on a hard seat, my sit bones keep my genitals and inner thighs held away from the seat, so the only places I'm putting pressure are on the bones that Ma Nature designed for sitting, and nothing else. Either way your sit bones are going to hurt, it's just a matter of what else is also going to hurt. Seats are EXTREMELY a personal preference, though, if you want a gel seat don't let me stop you!

I don't take spinning, but I figure 400 miles of cycling since mid-March qualifies me.... ;)

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 9:40am
Make sure, if you're bringing your seat and seatpost, that it's going to be compatible with the spinning bike! I'm not sure how different the spinning bikes are from exercise bikes, but sometimes the seatpost on an exercise bike is square. If you're going to use the seatpost on the spinning bike and just bring your seat, make sure how the seat is connected is the same as the seat you're bringing.

My dad breaks in his leather saddles at the gym, but he had to fabricate an adaptor to go from his bike seat to the square seat post on the Lifecycle because it didn't fit quite right.

I hope it works!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 10:30am
yes it certainly does qualify you! i see your point. i'm not going to buy padded shorts just for this, but since i already have a gel seat for my bike, i might just try it out. but in all honesty, my butt doesn't hurt nearly as much as it does after a long bike ride outside...after all, there were no bumps to go over, and more time spent standing on the pedals. so i don't think it will be a real problem gel seat or no gel seat.

Pages