Seasonal Motivation

iVillage Member
Seasonal Motivation
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:42am
Do seasons affect how motivated you are? Which season makes you feel like working hardest? What's the toughest time of year for you to get to the gym?

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:53am
I have ups and downs all year round. I'm usually most motivated in the spring with the beautiful weather. I like going to the gym in December because it's empty and like it least in Jan/Feb because it's too crowded.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 3:20am
I think I'm definitely more motivated in spring and fall... I have more energy during those months in general. But so far I'm doing pretty well this summer, even with no A/C at the gym!

Jean, how's the move going? How are your injuries from last week? We miss you!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 9:17am
yeah, it was very quiet without you. what will we do when you are driving cross country?

i find it hard to get to the gym in november and december, because there are so many other things going on with holiday parties and going out of town to visit family, and it gets dark so early that when i'm not out and about, i just feel like going home and crawling into bed. plus i'm all bundled up in winter clothes and it's easy to ignore a few pounds creeping up here and there.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 12:35pm
What's the weather like there in the summers? It's so cold here I still think it's early spring! My injuries are better. Thanks for asking. The bruises at the base of my palms are gone, thought they're a little tender when I push hard on them ("then, don't do that Jean..."). My tailbone is much better, though I actually hurt my left cheek more. It'll be tender for a long time, if it goes like the other times I've hurt it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 12:36pm
I'll have to find internet cafes along the country so I can keep posting! Not that's it's so light out, I forget how hard it is to get to the gym in the dark. I don't like that either.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 8:38pm
I like working out all year round and I try to not miss any classes. But I think I tend to follow the school calendar. I feel more motivated after Labor Day and want to try new classes and then as we are approaching Christmas, I might miss one or two classes because everyone else is doing it. Working out is a social activity for me. If my pals aren't at the gym, I miss them and don't feel as motivated to go although I do push myself. In the summers, I generally work out alone without saying much beyond a polite "Hello" to anybody and I really enjoy the solitude. I keep reminding myself that fitness is something I have to constantly work at, regardless of the seasons.

Peach Blossom