Do you guys take supplement for energy

iVillage Member
Do you guys take supplement for energy
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 10:51am
I really want to workout in the morning ,but it is so hard to get up the energy without taking a supplement with ephedra in it,i usually take half a pill and take the other half in the afternoon.I do childcare at home so I get up at 5:00 to let the kids in and they don't leave till 6:00,I usually work out with the kids here in the morning if I wait till the afternoon I won't do it.i know what they are saying about the supplements but are there anyone out there who takes them with out any side affects.Thanks in advance

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 10:56am
No, I don't take them, and I would be VERY VERY careful if I were you, especially if you're taking them before working out.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:23am
i've never taken it, but from what i've heard, half a pill is a small dose...it seems like you could get the same effect probably just from caffeine. i have taken caffeine (i.e. drank soda or coffee) in order to get energy for exercise. it's pretty harmless and effective.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:50am
For me, working out is not worth risking my life. I work out in the evenings (8-9:30) because I have more energy then and that's also the only time in my day that it will fit (I leave the house at 6am and don't get back until 7:30pm) because I can't force myself out of bed at 3:30 (nor is my gym open) to work out in the morning.

I agree with Jen--caffeine is a much safer way to go. As far as I know, caffeine has never killed anyone who wasn't taking it in megadoses.

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 12:01pm
I agree with what everyone else has said, but I don't like loading up with caffeine either although it's way better than ephedra. I bet a piece of fruit with its natural sugars would give you the boost you need. Are you getting enough sleep? Try going to bed a little earlier and maybe you won't be so tired in the morning. Stay away from the pills, even the "ephedra-free" kind. Your best bet is to find a natual alternative such as going to bed earlier, adjusting your schedule, or eating foods that are natural energy boosters.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 12:52pm
I agree with what the others have said. Ephedra can be dangerous. As millcreek said, even the non-ephedra supplements (containing ma huang) are not safe. I will drink coffee before a workout in the morning because I like my morning coffee. I find it does give me extra energy for a harder workout. Even if I don't, I find I pep up soon, just from the exercise. Are you eating before your workout? That might help.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:12pm
I prefer my two cups of coffee to the potential problems caused by "energy supplements", which let's be honest here, is nothing more than legalized speed. Drugs are not the way to go when it comes to weight loss, energy or getting up in the morning. If you don't like coffee then I suggest a glass of orange juice. There is something in orange juice (I have a sinking suspicion it is the sugar) that will give you a fast boost of energy and alertness. I used to drink shots of orange juice when I was a waitress because I didn't like coffee at the time, it honestly helped, though you have to balance the need for energy with the empty calories.

I commend you for wanting to work out. But, the benefits of working out aren't really going to be seen if you are damaging your body with drugs, which they have pretty much decided will happen taking some of these supplements.

On an entirely different level of concern is that you are working out while you are supposed to be caring for someone's child. I would suggest getting an assistant to free you up or waiting until "nap-time" to do your workout. By then you will be awake enough to not need supplements and will be doing what you are supposed to be doing with the children entrusted to your care. I worked for three years licensing child care centers and family day care homes, I would NEVER sign off on someone working out during business hours as acceptable practice.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:44pm
orange juice isn't empty calories! it might not be as good as eating an orange but it's not *empty* - particularly if you get that calcium-fortified kind! i know that wasn't your main point, but just felt i should defend poor OJ from such slander! ;)
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 2:04pm
bahahaha!!! No, I didn't mean it that way, you're right. I ***meant*** that to add in orange juice into an already full diet may add un-needed calories for the wrong reason. (un-needed calories for the wrong reason = empty). I love orange juice, but prefer to get the fullness from the actual orange if I'm gonna take the calories in:)

Though, you must think me a fruit nazi or something. I've slandered watermelon and orange juice now! Egads, this is awful. You gonna revoke my board membership if I slander another fruit???

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 2:20pm
ha ha! you ARE the fruit nazi!! i might have to take some action if this continues, because i'm very attached to fruit and will defend it at all costs! i'm another person that lately has been eating fruit until i feel sick and then keep eating. i just got cherries for $1.50 a pound at the supermarket. that's less than half the normal price. i've never eaten so many cherries in my life. the other day for dinner i ate cherries, grapes and a smoothie and felt SO sick. i decided cherries are my second favorite fruit after watermelon.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 2:46pm
I'm amazed at how many cherries I can eat at once! They're in season for such a short time that I have to get my fill. Those, blueberries and strawberries. I love melons, but I have to admit, it takes too much work to cut the and the others are soooo easy. Cherries are also one of the few fruits my children will eat.

Pages