Muscle soreness

iVillage Member
Muscle soreness
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 10:54am
OK, I think I've asked this before... stop me if this gets complicated (or rather, stop reading).

I did my chest/shoulders/triceps workout on Monday and man! was I sore the next day. Nothing injured or pulled, just your average DOMS caused by a nice hard workout with heavy weights. I was planning to do my back/biceps today but I've noticed that some of my muscles that I *think* I would use today are still really sore. These include the muscles that are under my arms, wrapping around the side of my rib cage. According to my handy exrx.net muscle diagrams, those look like the lats. But I'm so confused as to how I could have stressed the lats doing push-ups, bench press, shoulder press, upright row, and dips. And they're more armpit-y and side than back muscles, so maybe they're some deeper auxiliary muscle that I don't know about?

My question -- does anyone know what muscles these are? And should I let it stop me from doing my back/biceps work?

Thanks guys!

iVillage Member
In reply to: habsatu
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:20am
the muscle that is under your arm on your side, sort of right behind where the underwire on your bra hits, is part of your lats. you definitely could have worked your lats doing that workout. keep in mind, that moving to free weights and compound exercises means you aren't working muscles in isolation anymore, all your exercises are involving auxiliary muscles.

that being said, i personally have never figured out whether that means you shouldn't work back/biceps today. i've done it in the past with no ill effects, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. personally, that's one of the reasons why i do total body workouts or if i split at all, i split between upper and lower body.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:35am
thanks for clarifying, that's kind of what i thought. i am definitely feeling the difference doing free weights/compound exercises. i mean, i am by no means using big weights but i was SO exhausted after my workout on monday (in a good way). and so sore yesterday! even today, but it's better.

i am going to work out today and see how it goes. i think that once i get used to doing these exercises it won't be such a problem. i just don't want to do anything that will compromise my ability to get closer to pull ups! :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:58am
Maybe you should alter your routine a little. I like to pair muscles up in the following way:

Back/Biceps - these would include any exercises where I'm "pulling" such as lat pull downs, seated row, bicep curls, etc.

Chest/Triceps - Include any exercises where you're "pushing" such as bench press, dips, tricep extensions, chest press, push-ups, etc.

Shoulders - shoulder press, lateral raises, shrugs, etc.

Legs - squats, curls, extensions, lunges, calf raises, etc.

Depending on how many days you plan on training, you can break these up into 4 days, 2 days, or one full body day. Unless I'm doing a full body workout, I don't usually pair the back/bicep exercises with the chest/tricep ones because they do tend to work a little bit of the same muscle groups but in different ways. Keep exploring and find the combination that works best for you. Good Luck!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 12:47pm
I'd like to get soleil's feedback on whether you can work them, too. I've wondered that. My gut feel is that if they're sore, they need to recover first to build. But, there's no professional knowledge behind it. I asked the trainer at the gym if it was okay to do push ups everyday and she said, as long as I'm not sore, it's fine.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 4:57am
I agree, I think that separating between push/pull works best for me. But I add shoulders in with triceps and chest because I find they get worked anyway (esp. anterior delts during bench press). From what I've read, this is a pretty common split.

I used to do upper/lower but I found that after I did chest and back stuff, I was too tired to do arms and I only half did shoulders. This way I actually work everything I want to work and I space it out well enough that I have enough time to recover.

I ended up not being able to go to the gym last night anyway, so my soreness question was a moot point. By the time I go tomorrow, my back will DEFINITELY be ready for pull ups!