Back to pull-ups!

iVillage Member
Back to pull-ups!
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 1:23pm
Ok, I'm still so frustrated over the pull ups I could scream, but I'm working on them. I'm FINALLY back where I was before the accident, which I thought I was at one point until I had major pain for a few days after a workout that had nothing to do with DOMS and everything to do with the knot that is still present in that left lat from being hit. I had to back off and add assist and work back to where I was. Anyway...

I was talking to a friend who works for the FBI and we discussed the "pull-up" requirement for female agents. They have a modified pull up that they have to do, that from what he says is a good way to help work up to doing regular ones because it hits many of the same muscles at a different angle. Yesterday I realized that there is a bar at the playground we were at that I could try it on, and I ended up being able to do three dozen of them! Which means that there is strength there, enough at least to pass the FBI fitness test (which means a bit more to me than I care to admit, I always feel so out of shape when it comes to things like this...) I KNOW I have a long way to go still, 80 pounds assist, but the fact that I found a tiny success in the journey was so needed before I lost it.

Small steps, big feelings.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
In reply to: kiervin
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 2:00pm
that's awesome, and good work getting back into it after the accident. btw, what is the modified pull up the fbi has the agents do?
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 2:10pm
You have a three foot high bar. You hang underneath it with your heels on the ground and body held straight, so it would almost run right where the bar would if you were bench pressing. You pull yourself up until your chin is over the bar. It took me awhile to find a bar at the right height to try it. It was actually quite easy to do, but from what Dan told me there are MANY women who can't do it at all or reach the minimum number for their age. It was quite encouraging, but I still have a ton to do to reach a REAL pull up, which is my ultimate goal, I'm planning to add in the modified ones in the meantime to help build the muscles some more from the different angle.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 2:15pm
so it's kind of like doing a "bench up" - instead of bench pressing a bar you hang beneath it and pull your chest up to it? sounds cool, i'm going to try it!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 2:41pm
Congratulations on all those FBI pull ups! What is the modified pull up? I haven't been able to try a pull up since last week. I can't come close to doing one when I'm cold--it makes a huge difference when I've done cardio first. I don't know why it makes such a big difference.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 2:44pm
Oops, sorry, I should have read all the messages before I asked what the modified was. That's great that you could do so many!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 4:14pm
Congrats on working your way back! It's a long journey! lol...Pull ups are hard for me too, but my trainer seems to like the look of pain and dread on my face because she makes me do them often! lol. Best of luck with the training...what an awesome goal! Take care and sending lots of strong pull up vibes! :)

kathrine