Ideally...

iVillage Member
Ideally...
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 8:30pm
Some late day questions...or early AM questions for those of you who aren't around anymore.

1) What's your ideal day at the gym?

2) Describe an ideal class. If you don't like classes, feel free to say "no class at all!"

3) Describe an ideal cardio machine.

4) What's an ideal attainable body for you?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_jeanwl
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 10:30pm
these are fun!

1) What's your ideal day at the gym? how about a late morning deep water class, followed by lounging by the outdoor pool with a book and a picnic lunch i packed and brought with me. a couple hours later, a super fun 60 min step class (all step, no weights or anything) followed directly by a 30 min sports conditioning type class (pushups, plyometrics, sprints), a 15 min abs class and a 15 min stretch class. a few minutes in the sauna followed by a shower. then a hour and half yoga class.

2) Describe an ideal class. If you don't like classes, feel free to say "no class at all!" a step class with challenging but not impossible choreography, hard workout, great music, great instructor, enthusiastic step mates. no weights used in class.

3) Describe an ideal cardio machine. the elliptical crosstrainer is pretty close to ideal for me. what if someone could invent a cardio machine that was like being in a step class? kind of like my dance dance revolution but for step? that would kick butt.

4) What's an ideal attainable body for you? well, attainableness is hard to gauge. visually, i have a lot of parts that i'd like to look better, but really my ideal body is to be the fittest and most lean my body can be, whatever that is.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 10:46pm

+++I'm actually a fitness rat--not a gym rat. My ideal fitness day was similar to today. Got up and ran an early HARD 5k with hubby...my legs have recoverd from the 12k race on Sat. Later I did a nice long weight training session at home on my own. Took my time and felt so blessed to be able to do what I do. Tonight--took an hour Jazzercise class and danced my heart out---so today, a typical day for me..mixed up fitness was ideal.

2) Describe an ideal class. If you don't like classes, feel free to say "no class at all!"

+++I love classes, and an ideal class is when all my favorite routines are done. I love hip hop dance so when she throws a few of those in, I'm one happy camper.

+++ME (I'm a dancer, walker, and runner).

+++I have it now, although media would say I'm heavy--I am fit, toned, muscular and healthy. My constant fitness can only improve what I have--or maintain. I couldn't be happier--I'm healthy and strong. I try the best I can to take care of the body God gave me...and keep it healthy.

Deb

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:36pm
That would be a really cool idea for the step machine! You could have it in a class but it would be kind of free form, like the step would light up for a repeater, and you could do it, a quick step, around the world, or any variation as long as you keep with the beat and location. As you did the same routine a few times, you could do some fun improv! We kind of do that in our step class over time, where we go with the teacher's moves, but add our own steps.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:50pm

I was thinking of being in the gym, but Deb has me thinking outside the gym, too. I'd start the day w/ a strenuous hike. There would be a step class (something like millcreek's extreme quad), a hip hop type. I'd weight lift on my own. And, I'd get a couple hours of skating in, too. The whole day would end with a massage (and probably some Advil!).

When I posted the question, I was thinking of an extreme step class, but I just saw part of Fame and the rehearsals for the shows. It looked like a lot of fun and a great workout. I think an ideal class would be to do that, run by someone like Debi Allen.

A stairmaster with arms like the crosstrainer. Maybe instead of only back and forth, it could go in and out and up and down to get different muscles. I wonder if that would be safe, though.

Or, maybe a stationery walking lunge machine where you can adjust weights.

I should have said attainable, meaning non-surgical. Here's another question I can't answer. Maybe I could take parts of my body at different times of my life, like some magazines do for cover shots, putting together different pictures to get one shot of a celebrity. My legs from 15 years ago, my arms from 5 years ago, my shoulders now, my abs...never. It would be a composite me!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:54pm
Now that I think of it, I belonged to a gym about 10 years ago that had a stair type thing with arms. It had arms higher up that alternated so it was like climbing a ladder. It looked good in theory, but was never used in the gym, except by me. I don't know why. It wasn't as techy as some of the other machines. I wonder what happened to it and why it didn't catch on.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 8:34am
i think rock climbers use that kind of machine. in the movie K2 the guy has one in his office.

i thought of what i'd like in a cardio machine - something that works hams and glutes but NOT quads. don't ask me how it would work! most cardio seems to work quads so much more than hams. i'm really going to have to start doing strength training my hams in isolation, but i hate those machines.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 9:18am
you hate the hamstring curl machine? i LOVE that machine. i hated them to start with (something about lying on my stomach always made me feel like i was gonna puke) but then i got a lot better. i think the reason i love it is because it's the only leg exercise i can do full-out without worrying about my knees, and because i've improved so much in the last three months!

if you hate the machine, i think deadlifts and stiff-legged deadlifts are supposed to target the hams and glutes. never done 'em but i think i might try some out tomorrow during my back exercise. i'll watch all the form videos first, though.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 10:38am

If my scheduled permitted it, I would go to the gym twice a day and not have any time constraints. I would like to take Body Pump or a sculpting class in the afternoon and return later that evening for one of my extreme step classes. The classes would be full but now crowded and everyone would work in unison.

I actually attend my ideal classes several times a week. What I like about them is that they're really challending and customized for experienced people. The class schedule clearly states which classes are for beginners, intermediate, advanced, all levels, and then level X for extreme. And what's really great is that the levels actually mean something. A lot of times it's difficult to tell the difference between a level 2 class and a level 3, not at my gym. The instructors are knowledgeable and have pleasant speaking voices. (I can't stand the cheerleader instructors with all of the yelling and squealing.) My instructors, all of them, are enthusiastic without being annoying.

I would love to see a virtual reality machine -- one where you go through an obstacle course like in the movie, "An Officer and a Gentleman." I would love to see if I could climb that wall! I would want to be able to set the weather conditions and choose to either compete with other participants, compete against myself, or go it alone.

I'm pretty satisfied with my current physique. I guess I could stand to tone it up a little more but I've pretty much been the same build my entire life. Honestly, I can still wear the same clothes that I wore in 8th grade! So, maybe just a little more definition, although I would like to be really cut up but I don't think that's attainable for me unless I put myself through some G.I. Jane training. I don't want it that bad. I'm pretty happy with what I have.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 10:46am
o man, that virtual obstacle course sounds like the best cardio EVER! i would be into something survivor-esque. loved the idea of being able to customize weather conditions.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 10:49am
Yeah, but probably would cost a fortune and the thing would most likely be out-of-order whenever we wanted to use it. But in a world of ideals...

Pages