spoiled gym rat

iVillage Member
spoiled gym rat
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 12:16pm
i joined the club across the street from my office today, now i'm a very spoiled gym rat with three different gym memberships. i'm very excited for spinning.

i'm also signing up for a fun 8k in july, so i'm pretty excited to get running too. i decided that i'm all about the cross training. this weekend i'm going to try out running 8k, then once i get a sense of my pace, i'll see what training i can get in one month. i'd be happy to run 10 min miles. the race is supposed to be really fun, it's at twilight and afterward there is a big street party with bands and free beer for runners.

iVillage Member
In reply to: jenindc
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 12:31pm
Good for you! And you're not just running 8k, you're running in the heat and humidity of DC! How's your new gym? Have you tried anything other than spin? You're really a Gyms Rat!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 12:55pm
yeah the heat and humidity is what i'm most afraid of. but this year has been so crazy weatherwise, i'm hoping that it won't be too bad. at this rate, we'll probably be running it in the rain!

my new gym is good for what i want it for, which is mostly spinning. i liked the spinning classes that i went to a lot. i was going to try pilates tonight immediately after spinning, but because of a long story i can't take pilates tonight. hopefully i'll take spinning and pilates back to back at least once a week and at least one other spinning class. plus i want to start running 3 times a week. so we are looking at approx. 11 workouts per week, not including pilates. yeesh! well, i said i wanted to increase my endurance!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 2:08pm

That's wonderful. I wouldn't call it spoiled, I'd call it motivated! I'm so glad that you decided to join, I think that the ability to train whenever you want in a variety of settings and classes is a good thing. It is also pretty inspirational to people like me who get nervous about breaking out of their niche to see others seeking and embracing that kind of variety.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 4:12pm
Hmmm...free beer for the runners....where's this race at? Sounds like a great time to me! :) Congrats on finding a great gym and a good spinning class. I want to start running also, but I am at the beginner stages so I have a looonnnggg way to go! Good luck Jen! Have a great week!

kathrine

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 4:36pm
Is it reformer pilates or mat-based? I'd like to try reformer. It looks like fun, having a machine to pull you into different positions.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 4:40pm
the gyms only have mat as far as i know. i've never heard of a gym having a machine. i don't think i'd like that machine.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 4:50pm
Our gym does both, but the reformer class is really expensive so I've never done it. Here's a picture of the one at the gym:

http://www.pilates.com/cgi-bin/webicart/webicart.cgi?page=pages/allegro.html&cart_id=6183189_1002040&refer_id=eureka

The picture takes a while to load.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 6:37pm
The race sounds like fun--just do it for the fun of it! We have an 8k coming up, the last race had what they called "Monster Hill" "Valley of Death"...etc that I can do without anytime soon!

The Torchlight 8krace is right before Seafair parade so should be very fun. Route goes along the waterfront in Seattle then uphill several blocks (groan)...then through Seattle downtown. Should be fun no matter what! 300,000 spectators watching us (ok..watching us AND waiting for the parade).

Deb