A Sunday Diet question...;)

iVillage Member
A Sunday Diet question...;)
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 6:33pm
Hey everyone! Hope your weekend was wonderful! I was wondering what your diet habits are....meaning, do you follow a strict diet (i.e. my trainer measures every bit of her food, etc) or do usually watch what you eat but fudge every now and then, or are you like me...and have no discipline when it comes to eating and pretty much eat what I want...(which I know is my downfall). Just curious about everyone else, thanks in advance. :)

kathrine

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 11:30pm
I'm careful about what I eat, but definitely have my splurges. I probably eat well 90% of the time. My diet is mostly vegetables and fruits, healthy proteins, some whole grains, and healthy oils. As long as what I eat is good for me, I don't think a lot about it. I will go to fitday.com or calorieking.com on occasion to enter what I eat to see how many calories I take in, what the protein/fat/carbs ratio is, whether I'm eating my necessary nutrients. I have counted calories obsessively in the past and then went through a period where I counted fat grams. Now, as long as I'm active and eating foods that are healtful, I'm less conscious of that. I don't believe there is one right way of eating for everyone. It's good to ask around and choose the one that suits you best. Well, as long as it's healthy--you don't want to follow an all chocolate diet, though it sounds tempting!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 7:33am
LOL... I think I'm the undisciplined type myself, but I'm starting to change some bad habits. I've started using a program called BalanceLog, which is like FitDay but it's on my computer and Palm Pilot. I enter in my food and track calories and nutrients and breakdowns. I have a really hard time eating enough protein, and I have bad willpower when it comes to salty, fatty foods (like cheese in any form). In general, I try to eat fruits and veggies instead of starches and have been fairly successful in cutting back my intake of refined carbs. But I have a long way to go on the good eating track. :)
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 8:31am
i used a computer program to track calories when i was trying to lose weight, i don't think i could lose weight without counting calories, and i think it's difficult for anyone to lose weight without counting calories in some form or another (i.e. fitday, weight watchers, etc.)

now i just try to eat a mostly whole foods diet of veggies, fruits, legumes, whole grains. no trans fats, white flour and minimal processed food and sugar. but my eating habits go in phases, better and worse. this weekend i ate terribly. ugh, it felt like i spent half the weekend eating junk food and the other half i spent with a stomach ache.

i realized that i didn't really answer your question, as far as cutting foods out and "cheating", so let me add- there are some things i don't eat AT ALL. i don't eat trans fats (potato chips, french fries, hydrogenated oils, store-bought cookies, etc.), any animal products (for ethical reasons), white bread or white pasta. there are certain "junk foods" that i sometimes eat in moderation - homemade or bakery-made baked goods, pizza with soy cheese from a pizza place, tings or veggie booty (i'm on a "ting" kick lately), burritos or fajitas with white flour tortillas, stuff like that - and i consider myself to have eaten "terribly" when i eat more than one "treat" in a day or didn't eat enough veggies. when i say that i ate terribly yesterday, this is what i ate: three pieces of bakery made multigrain bread with earth balance, an eggless "egg salad" sandwich on same multigrain bread, a small bowl of leftover hunan "beef" (seitan) and veggies, a lot of tings (they taste like cheetos but they are made of only corn, canola oil and nutritional yeast), a big salad with spinach, red leaf lettuce, arugula with low fat vegan thousand island dressing and veggie bacon bits, a half a small watermelon, a third of a devil's food bar (about 1 inch by 3 inches) from a local vegan bakery, a huge diet soda, coffee with silk lowfat nondairy creamer, a glass of soymilk. so i guess if that's as terrible as it gets, i generally eat pretty well. unfortunately, i've had a lot of those "terrible" days strung together and it really makes me not feel very well when i eat so poorly.

Edited 6/23/2003 10:02:11 AM ET by jenindc

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 9:27am
I'm pretty strict about what I eat. I don't give myself "cheat" days and I really watch my sugar intake. I'm one of those people who can't stop after having just one piece of candy or one piece of cake. Moderation just doesn't work for me so, I have to be vigilant about what I eat. Junk food to me is what alcohol is to an alcoholic or a cigarette is to a former smoker. Just one bite can send me over the edge and it will take weeks for me to recover.

Let me clarify what I'm saying... There are certain foods or types of foods that I know I just can't eat, but I don't sit around counting calories weighing or measuring things etc. My way of eating has become my way of living so I avoid foods without even thinking about it. It's more of a habit for me and I don't have to try as hard as I used to. Hope that makes sense.

Edited 6/23/2003 9:30:21 AM ET by millcreek2

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 8:50am
I have experimented w/ numerous ways of eating over the years & have found what works for me, but it may not work for you. On both a personal & professional level I've found that there really is no one thing that works universally when it comes to diet & exercise.

That said, I've found limiting my intake of starchy carbs & processed/refined foods & increasing my intake of protein has gone a long way to help me control fat levels. Also, how much i eat at a time & how often has made a difference. I never go more than three hours w/o eating. I don't weigh, measure, count calories/fat grams or worry about 'cheating'. I just try to make wholesome choices & have my treats in moderation . The only thing I really have to make a conscious effort to control is protein & water. I really, really have to work at getting enough of both.

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 2:07pm
I'm pretty laid back about the diet, which might explain the plateau I'm stuck on... perhaps I'll be NO help in this.

I make an effort to eat clean. Lots of fruits and veggies (which I do have to work at-veggies, that is), lean meats or tofu, tons of water and light on the starches and refined sugars. My biggest challenge in eating is the refined starches. I'm a big fan of bread. I don't deny myself anything, but go with the moderation theory of eating. I've failed so many times in the past by doing the "I will never eat a candy bar again" that I refuse to live life denying myself simple pleasures. The difference is, where I used to go as long as I could and then cave in and buy a "giant" snickers I now have a Lindor truffle whenever I get the urge. One of those is like 40 calories instead of 500something. So, everything in moderation and healthy stuff as a habit.

I'm not good about tracking what/when/how I feel when I eat over long periods of time. I usually do it for a few days to a week every month, just to be aware of what I'm taking in. I'm fortunate that I am a creature of habit. I ALWAYS have two cups of coffee and a grapefruit for breakfast. I ALWAYS tend to want to eat at around 2:00 pm and that is my danger time for blowing it. Knowing these things have allowed me to not track every bite forever, but it is still a good idea to log your food if you never have. Those hidden calories are killers.

Well, that's about it. Hope this makes sense!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press