Best Workout for Me?

iVillage Member
Best Workout for Me?
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 7:41pm
Hi, I'm new to this board...

I joined a gym about a month ago, and have been going about 3 times a week. I've worked out on and off previously, so I'm not completely new to this gym thing...but I'm trying to decide how I should structure my workouts so that I can achieve my goals. I want to lose about 10 more pounds and get toned (especially in the abs and arms area). Right now I'm doing about 30-45 minutes of weights (2 sets of 10 on 2 machines for each body part) and then 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical trainer. Do you think this is okay, or is there some other combination that might work better? I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 11:26pm
congrats on getting back into fitness, and welcome, glad you found us!

without more info, it's hard to say how that structure is...it depends on what you are making of that time. how is your intensity? are you lifting to exhaustion in 10 reps? it's certainly possible to be doing sufficient weights in 45 minutes 3 times a week if you are making the most of it. also, how intense are your cardio workouts? doing an interval workout once a week would boost your cardio fitness and calorie burning. how are you eating? that's something else to consider. for most women to look toned, you have to focus on all three aspects, cardio, strength, and eating. generally, it's hard to lose the last few pounds of fat - you might want to consider working up to more cardio per week to burn more calories, plus cardio 5 times a week would really give you more cardiovascular benefit, that would be closer to what current expert recommendations are. but if you have only been working out regularly for a month, it's good to start with 3 times a week and work up to more cardio over time.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 1:44pm
Jen had good feedback on this. The amount of time you're spending on each is good. Make sure you're in your target zone and that you're lifting to fatigue. Good for you for getting back to the gym!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 2:15pm
Hi! I think Jen hit on the biggest mistake many people make. Intensity. You have to ask yourself if you are REALLY working or just going through the motions in any exercise regime. And, you need to constantly monitor your progress. When I started lifting I was lucky to move 30 pounds on leg extensions. I now move 100+. As your body gets stronger you have to increase your intensity (weight when lifting) to continue to challenge it. The same goes for cardio. 20 minutes at level 1 was great for the first week. But now it is more like an hour at level 15 to get the same benefits. Bodies are very efficient and will soon adapt to meet the demands we place on them, vary your demands!

Just my pet concern with workouts. Make sure what you are doing is challenging enough and watch your diet. Don't skimp on the water!!!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 12:16am
Thanks for your replies! I noticed that when I went to the gym today, I lifted to exhaustion on some machines, and not so much on others. So I immediately either added weight or increased my reps on those machines. My cardio workout felt better (as a result of this change, maybe?) as well. I plan to gradually add cardio-only days, and will continue to increase the intensity of my lifting as well. Thanks again for all of your help!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:05am
Sounds great! Let us know if it helps!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 9:43am
yeah, sounds great! you might also find that you can bump up your intensity when you do only cardio on certain days, so keep pushing yourself, you are doing awesome!