gym etiquette help

iVillage Member
gym etiquette help
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 9:41pm
I just joined a gym that I've been looking into, and I really like it. However, this is the first really serious gym I've ever been to, and I don't want to be one of "those people" that get on other people's nerves. Besides wiping off the equipment that I've used and not hogging equipment, does anyone have any pointers? I don't even know what I should/shouldn't wear. I really appreciate it.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 11:12pm
let's see...most gyms you can just wear what is comfortable - shorts and tee, shorts and tank, leggings and tank, whatever you feel comfortable in. if you are doing multiple sets, someone might want to "work in" and alternate sets with you. if you are resting on a machine or with weights and you see someone hanging around looking like they want to use the equipment, it's polite to ask if they want to work in. follow any time maximums on cardio machines, if none are posted, assume you should get off after 30 minutes if someone is waiting. put weights away after you use them. most of the etiquette is obvious and applies to all aspects of life - don't have a really loud conversation on a cell phone while on the equipment, really basic stuff. if you are a generally polite person, as you seem to be, you won't have any problem. have fun!
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 8:15am
I wouldn't worry too much about what you wear, as long as it's comfortable and not too skimpy. As for the rest, I think 90% of the battle is just caring enough about not being a slob or an equipment hog... as long as you're thinking about these things, you'll be more likely to clean up after yourself and you'll be aware if someone is waiting to use a piece of equipment after you. I'd also give a thumbs down to singing along loudly with your music and/or talking loudly on a cell phone.

Enjoy your gym!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 1:58pm
I think that the fact you are asking this question shows that you respect and care about other's enjoyment and feelings in the gym. Just follow your heart and treat others how you would want to be treated.

Good luck on the new membership~

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press