favorite step moves?

iVillage Member
favorite step moves?
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 9:28pm
this is a very self-interested question - i'm FINALLY learning to teach step and have to come up with a couple of easy combos...so what's your favorite (but simple) step move? i'm so sad because mine is reverse turn, but apparently that's contraindicated.

also, just out of curiosity, how many risers do you guys use and how tall are you? i learned a formula to tell if your step is too high, but you have to measure your femur. i think i'm just tall enough to use the two risers i've been using but i think i'm going to go back down to one anyway.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:04am
For a long time, I used two risers. It's not safe and I think I saw a poster once that said you should use two only if you're 5'4" or above. But, I started way back before people were that conscious of safety and you'd commonly see people using three risers, on occasion I saw men using four. When I was pregnant with my son, I moved down to one riser and have stayed there since. What I miss about two risers is that when I jump for a power move, I used to go really high. It's not a big deal, though, not as a compromise for safety.

That brings up another question about step. How many of you belong to gyms that have the older risers? There's that newer system where the risers click in, like legos ("newer" meaning, about 8-10 years maybe? lol). I don't like that as much because the step was smaller and it felt lower, though it might have just felt that way. Also with the older one, you can remove one riser and have a tilted platform which is more versatile.

Why is the reverse turn contraindicated? We do it all the time (but then the instructors of the advanced step classes have said they do a lot of "illegal" moves. It's hard to know what's new and what's not because it depends on the instructors. Have you done either a tick tock or tap around the world? If you haven't, I'll try to describe them (or maybe I can wait and show you in a couple of weeks!). BTW, thanks for jumping in with a question!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 10:00am
that's what i've heard about two risers too, and i'm 5'4" - but i still think i'm going to go to one. step is a *lot* easier for me on one riser, but i'll just have to bring the intensity up in other ways. but really, i do other workouts that are more intense than step anyway (spinning, intervals), so it's not the end of the world if my step workouts aren't the most intense.

we have the old reebok steps and i've never seen the others. but i think the old ones are fine!

i think i know what a tick tock is, and i really like that too. but i think that is too hard for me to cue right now because of the rhythm, how you have to hold, you know? by "tap around the world" do you mean lunges off the step and you take it around the four sides of the step? i like that move a lot too. that i could add in!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 10:04am
oh, about "illegal" moves - according to reebok, you aren't supposed to do any moves where you step backward up onto the step like in the reverse turn. allegedly, it's too much of a tripping hazard because you can't see where you are putting your feet down. i personally think that it would be fine for advanced steppers.

you also aren't supposed to do any steps that require you to step forward off the step, or jump down off the step (though it's fine to jump up onto the step), both put too much pressure on the knees. i could see how those moves would be bad, even for advanced steppers.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:07pm
That's right, I forgot about stepping down and the knees. The reverse turn is fun, though Do you do the reverse turn into a straddle? You wouldn't be stepping down then. And then you'd get to go from straddle position which gives you new options.

On tap around the world, I'll try to explain it. You start facing the bench. You tap with our right foot and immediately put it on the other side of the bench so you are straddling the bench with your weight on the right foot. You then tap the left foot on the bench and put it next to you so that you're facing the bench, this time on the other side. Then you repeat, by tapping your right foot on the bench and then place it on the other side of the bench with the weight on it so you're straddling facing the other way. Then you tap with your left foot and place it next to you so you're back to where you started. It goes pretty quickly. Tap right, foot down straddle, tap left, foot down beside you. Repeat. You end up going in a circle.

I think that's a legal move.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 2:07pm
that sounds legal. never done it, i'll give it a try! woo hoo, i'm going to have moves no one at the Y has seen before!
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 9:17am
I like reverse turns too, but judging from what I see in the class, it seems to be one of the most difficult.

The most creative stepping I've ever seen was a Valentine's themed routine.

I don't remember all of it...but it included

"shoot the bow and arrow" - kind of like rocking horse but with more arm movement

and a pattern that spelled out the word l-o-v-e (L-step, then 2 flys around the end, V-step, and 3 side-outs that made the capital e - sort of)

The only step I really dislike is the shuffle. I always do a regular turn step instead.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 10:23pm
I like repeater circle. A repeater circle is when you do a repeater knee but on the second knee, you spin backwards tapping on the other side of the bench and then do the third knee facing front again.

Rock Step: It's like jogging forward but one foot jogs on the floor and the other on the bench.

Circle: Facing front, hop over the bench and land on the right foot. Remain on that side of the bench but hop on your left foot facing the bench. Hop back over the bench landing on your right foot and facing the back of the room. Hop back on your left foot facing the bench again.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2003 - 10:44am
Again, I'm afraid I'm going to offer a quick response before reading the other posts. I just want to comment on Step height. As a very general rule anyone under 5'3" should use no more than 1 set of risers, under 6' should never use more than 2 sets. In that mid range people should be able to step up w/o their knees pushing past their toes. A newbie shouldn't use any risers, unless the bench is scooting around the floor (a set of risers will lessen this). When Stepping they should be lifting through their thighs & glutes not only to increase how hard those muscles work, but to reduce impact on th the joints of the lower body. When Stepping in this manner there should be no sound of the feet 'stomping' onto the bench. If they're using proper form & still 'stomping' then their bench is too high.

Hope this helps, Jen.

Good luck & take care.

p.s.- I have a simple combo I've used for years, that I pull out when I have newbies, but can be modified for the more advanced participants. It's all very basic moves, but just complicated enough to give newer, less confident folks a sense of accomplishment. If you want to give it a whirl, let me know. I'll give you the basic combo first, then if you want to use & feel comfortable w/ it I'll give you the modifications.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2003 - 11:03am
that's what i had originally heard about step height, too. but even though i'm 5'4" i still think 2 risers is too high for me.

that would be great if you gave me your combo. you can email me through my profile if you don't want to post it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2003 - 11:42am
That's why I say it's a very general rule. I'm 5' & when I'm not teaching I can get away w/ 2 sets. It's affected by leg length/strength & balance. The test to see if your knee passes your toes or if you 'stomp' when stepping correctly is better as far as I'm concerned.

At the beginning of a class I tell them that each set of risers they use will increase their energy output by 12-17%, that they should be able to step comfortably & quietly w/o their knees passing their toes; heels should be on the bench & they should lift thru the thighs & glutes to 'lift' onto the Step rather travel laterally onto it. If they're uncomfortable, can't step quietly & completely onto the bench or feel pain in their knees or low back then they should lower their Step.

Soleilune

Pages