preggers gym rats?

iVillage Member
preggers gym rats?
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 11:30am
for those of you who have kids, how long during your pregnancy did you continue to work out? what if anything, did your doctor/spouse/family have to say about it?

it seems like at my gym the norm is for pregnant instructors to continue teaching right up until they have the baby. i think it's great. my boss was saying that with her last one she lost her plug (had never heard of that before!) on a friday and was supposed to teach the next wednesday. she considered it and eventually decided not to, and it was a good thing because she ended up going into labor that night! now she's pregnant with her third and due the third week in july and still teaching, and i had another instructor that was still teaching two weeks before she was due.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 12:46pm
I am a lurker but I thought I would jump in to say that I am 20 weeks pregnant and I have been working out diligently the entire time I have been pregnant. I plan to continue working out up until I am ready to give birth. I still lift weights, use the cardio machines and go to yoga classes, both ashtanga and prenatal classes. I feel so great and I know that part of it has to do with keeping active. :)

Jo

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:21pm
Hi! Glad you popped up here! Wow, 20 weeks already It's good to hear you're still working out and feeling good!

I worked out through both pregnancies. With my first, I did 1 1/2 hours a day, 7 days a week, which, in hindsight wasn't smart. I worked out up to the day I delivered. I joked with the doctor that the minute I went into labor I was going to head to the gym so I could have a huge amount of natural endorphins and it wouldn't hurt as much. He laughed and told me to save my energy for delivery. I recovered really quickly and was up and about w/in an hour of birth.

With my second, I worked out 4-5 days a week, for an hour a day. Much smarter than the first. I definitely think working out is great during a pregnancy. I've thought of being a personal trainer for pregnant women and post-partum because there was a lot of ignorance about it, at least when I was pregnant. I talked to one woman who was told by a trainer to stop doing step because her sense of balance would be off. This is a woman who was an advanced stepper and had been doing it for some time. I think it's great that the instructor at your gym did it for so long. I know some who had to stop teaching later on because of shortness of breath and they couldn't talk as well during.

Now, I think there is more info on working out and pregnancy. My favorite magazine was Fit Pregnancy and I always give a subscription as a gift to anyone I know from the gym who is pregnant. Sorry, I've gone on and on here but I'm really into pregnancy and fitness!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:28pm
My sister is due any time and I was floored over when I saw her. She's been doing her regular gym-rat workout including her kickboxing classes. She looks incredible...arms and legs and glutes..totally tight toned and muscular. Just a basketball in front. She's due anytime (the process is starting she claims LOL)...and is down with sciatica right now, other than that she closely monitored her heart rate during workouts, got the doc's ok because she was already super fit...and things went just fine.

We'll see how "easy" the delivery is :o)

Deb

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:28pm
Oooh, this is a perfect opportunity for me to post a link to articles written by my iron-pumping idol, Krista Scott-Dixon:

http://www.dolfzine.com/page245.htm

http://www.dolfzine.com/page354.htm

It's great to hear about women who manage to keep working out while pregnant!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:36pm
You always have such informative links. Those are really good articles. I'll have to pass them on to women I know who want to become pregnant.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:43pm
JO! i was wondering where you went! yay, i'm so glad you delurked. that's awesome that you are keeping fit and are feeling so good.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 2:08pm
I see alot of pregnant women at my gym too. For me that would be a big NO. When we finally got preggers with our daughter I had just come off crutches from having a cyst surgically removed from my foot. I was actually on my first post recovery run when I started throwing up like crazy and went to the doctor. I worked out for about 7 weeks until I nearly miscarried. I was on bedrest for the majority of the pregancy following that.

With our son, who was rather unplanned, I was just coming to terms with the realization that I needed to work out to get back into shape when it happened that I was pregant again. I was still nursing our daughter and the hormones from that caused some cramping and bleeding in about the 6th week. I was immediately told to do NOTHING at all that would jeopardize the pregnancy. Unlike my 1st pregnancy, where I weighed 30 pounds less at delivery than I did at diagnosis (I had morning sickness until the day after I delivered) I packed on weight at an alarming rate. I gained nearly 60 pounds with him. It just got worse and worse.

I wish I could have worked out. But having had a mid-term miscarriage prior to our daughter meant that I spent a great deal of time in bed and taking it easy during both pregnancies.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 2:36pm
and i'm glad that bed rest worked and they are healthy!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 4:00pm
I'm glad everything turned out okay and they're both super healthy! Those were tough pregnancies. Working out is good for complication-free pregnancies if the mother has already been active. At the same time, there are women who can't and I hope no one feels bad if she can't. You deserve a big pat on the back just for getting through your pregnancies!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 2:10pm
is that the same Krista as http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html ??

never mind, I clicked on the 2nd page of the article.

Edited 6/26/2003 2:12:42 PM ET by zorbslovessporks

Pages