I have a question about.....

iVillage Member
I have a question about.....
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 12:48pm
Hi all

Well i have been working out 3x a week since march. I thought i was doing a fairly good job. I do around 25 mins of cardio and about 35mins of weight training. The other day i was looking in the mirror and i noticed that i was getting a little "dimply" in the rear. So basically im doing the opposite. Instead of toning, i have been getting cellulite and flabby. This is serioulsy questioning this whole process of the gym. Shouldnt i be getting more fit and toned, as time goes on. Rather then get flabby. What should i be doing different when it comes to my rear and hip area?? I do all the necessary machines for them. I do lunges at night. Maybe it hasnt been enough time??? Now im self conscience. Pleasssse respond. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:23pm
I think you would need to know more about whether or not you've lost weight, body fat, and inches before deciding that you're getting more flabby after working out. You would also need to evaluate your diet and make sure you're not eating more calories than you think you are. (Have you tried FitDay.com?) And, of course, more information on your routine -- are you fatiguing the muscles? Are you really exerting yourself on your cardio?

Could it be that you've actually lost pounds and inches and that what you see as new fat is just looser skin where the old fat used to live? If that's the case, that tends to tighten up on its own over time. A friend of mine once described it as "fat that's packing its bags and getting ready to leave town."

It's been said many times, but you can't spot-reduce, no matter how hard you try. What you can do is spot-train muscles in a particular part of your body -- compound exercises like leg press and squats are great for the butt. In general, though, what most people think of as "toning" is really just an overall reduction in body fat. For that to happen, you need both diet and exercise.

There are so many good reasons to keep working out, though, please don't give up! Can you lift heavy things (groceries, children, suitcases) easier than you used to? Can you climb a hill or a long flight of stairs easier than you used to? In the long run, it's benefits like this that matter most for your quality of life!

Now if I could only practice what I preach....

Good luck and don't give up!

~ Vanessa

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:24pm
bump :)
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:28pm
Working out in itself will not make you more dimply and fat. Is it possible that it was there before but you're just noticing it now? Also, are you eating more than usual because you are working out? It would be a good idea to measure your portion sizes and keep a food journal to see how many calories you're taking in and if you're eating the right balance of food. What you eat is as, if not more, important that how much you eat. Eat mostly veggies, some fruits/whole grains/healthy proteins, and a small amount of fat. Try to eliminate processed foods.

What are you doing for cardio and lifting? Make sure you are in your target heart rate zone when you are doing cardio and that you are lifting to fatigue. Time spent working out doesn't count as much as how hard you work out. To burn more calories, you can up your cardio, too. Hope that helps.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:54pm
OH, OH!!! Ok, I have to jump in. I have had this happen. Fortunately we were watching my weight, doing body fat measurements and basic measurements and could confirm that I was NOT getting flabbier.

What has likely happened is that you HAD a uniform layer of fat in that area. As you have worked out you have burned fat off. And just like you cannot spot reduce you also have no control over how much, where or the uniformity of fat loss. So, those dimples you have aren't new fat appearing, they are spots where fat has burned off leaving the other fat behind. It is frustrating to look worse due to fat loss, but it happens.

My stomach was a uniform layer of guck, it was relatively smooth in appearance. I started losing and found it getting dimply and for awhile there saggy (before the skin started pulling in) and actually looked MUCH worse. It is starting to even out some. Fat is tricky stuff, you can't control its gain or loss at all and sometimes the process just stinks.

Keep at it. Don't fret too much or give up. Sometimes things "LOOK" worse before they get better, it doesn't mean you've failed!

Good luck!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:58pm
Thanks--I didn't know that! You learn something new every day (or on this board, I learn a lot of new things every day). So, never mind what I said and listen to kiervin!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 2:01pm
i think everyone else's replies were great, just wanted to add also that sometimes building muscle can make cellulite that was already there more noticeable than it had been. the muscle pushes the cellulite to the surface. i notice this sometimes when my arm muscles are flexed. i think, as kiervin said, it should reduce as you continue to progress.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 6:34pm
Thank you all!

I feel alot better hearing that the fact is going down, rather then growing. Ha. Hopefully if i keep with it, the skin will even out.

When i do my cardio- i usually go to the point where i am really sweating. The weights- i do it enough where by the last couple reps in the set i am tired. I hope its working.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 9:27am
IS there a difference between cellulite and fat anyways?
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 9:30am
cellulite is fat that is glommed together in the recognizable cellulite pattern. i don't know the scientific info about the how or why of the glomming.