Working out in the Heat

iVillage Member
Working out in the Heat
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 9:51am
What do you guys to keep up your workouts in the heat? My gym, I am sure is like others, some nights it is the perfect temperature, but sometimes it is unbelieavably hot. Like last night, I was not working at my usual intensity, but the sweat was literally dripping off my face like a faucet, due to the heat. Besides drinking extra water does anyone have any other suggestions?
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 10:11am
sweatbands? i've been meaning to get some. really i can't think of anything else for indoor heat other than drinking a lot of water, trying to work near a fan, stuff like that. drinking water is really important because dehydration will raise your core temp making you more prone to heat exhaustion or heat stroke. also, if you are sweating a lot and drinking a lot during a short period of time you might want to use a sports drink instead of water to keep your electrolytes balanced. you may just not be able to work as long or as hard on hot days.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 11:18am
I just go with lots of water, too. My first gym in Boston didn't have A/C. The aerobics class was way in the back and didn't have good ventilation. During a heat wave, the room would be inbelievably hot where the safe thing would have been to cancel it, but they didn't and the classes were packed. I've also seen people run in the middle of 100+ deg., alert days, weather at noon in VA. That doesn't seem healthy!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 1:56pm
I don't really have anything to add. Our gym is well ventilated (at least the part I use) so it hasn't been an issue. Daughter's dojo is HOT HOT HOT though and she comes home on sparring days beet red and miserable. We usually get her a sports drink to supplement the water on those days and take her to the pool to cool off. She says it is better than a shower so you may want to try going swimming if you can.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 1:57pm
when it's really miserably hot, go for water aerobics...that should cool you off!
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2003 - 5:47am
My gym is not air conditioned AT ALL and some nights it's been too hot to do anything more than weights. It was better the other day and I rode the bike for 40 minutes but the sweat was just pouring off me and it was pretty disgusting. Other than drinking water and toweling off, I'm not really sure what else I can do. I really don't want to let the heat discourage me from working out, and I think I'm kind of getting used to it. If I ever start feeling dizzy or anything like that, I'll stop. Too bad there's no pool here.