Another question! (about cardio)

iVillage Member
Another question! (about cardio)
Fri, 06-27-2003 - 5:29pm
Hi again,

I've got another question (thanks for the helpful replies on my last one!) for you guys...

For my cardio workouts, I've been using the elliptical trainer due to the fact that I get knee pain when running on flat surfaces. I've read somewhere that the higher the resistance on these machines, the bulkier your leg muscles get. Is this true? I'm asking because I obviously don't want bulky legs, but I don't feel like I get a good enough workout with a low resistance, even if I do run faster. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2003 - 7:26pm
no you won't get bulky legs from upping the resistance. certainly not unless you up it so much that you can only take 12 steps in a row before you have to rest, and even then probably not. (not that i agree that being bulky is such a bad thing anyway.) so go for it!

i wonder who is perpetrating all these myths about bulky women? probably the same people who spread the word that all vegans are sickly - that's another one that seems to be ubiquitous. whoever these myth-spreaders are, they sure have good p.r. people. i could count the number of bulky (non-athlete) women (OR sickly vegans for that matter) that i've ever seen on one hand.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 12:27am
LOL, I wonder if we went to the urban legend site and typed in "bulky women" what would come up?

While you will not get bulky doing more resistance on the elliptical, you will get more toned and defined legs and that's a good thing. One thing the last trainer I saw told me was that if you do have fat on your legs and they get more muscular, they might look bulky because of the fat. But you don't want to avoid getting muscles as much as you want to reduce the fat.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 12:47pm
Who started this bulky rumor? ARGH. You won't get bulky from simply upping the resistance on the epi machine. Unless you are that RARE woman (one in a million) you won't even get bulky from lifting weights, even if you TRY! Another of those silly exercise myths that are perpetuated in every gym by people who claim to know what they are talking about but wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a dumbbell and their own dummy head!

Up the resistance and have fun!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 12:53pm
The bulky one makes me nuts. But, I'll admit I believed the sickly vegan one until you helped educate me. My mother helped convince me of that... "eat your meat or you won't grow up strong..." In hindsight, this is a woman who has been sick or "stressed" every single day that I've known her, perhaps her theories aren't so sound?

I've been watching the local meatless cooking show. Cutting edge stuff given the Hawaiians love of meat. They are doing alot of the milk replacement with coconut milk. I'm thinking that I might try it in my next batch of muffins, bet it livens up the taste and I know it is sweet enough that I could cut more sugar (which I've found some recipes that you can cut half or more without destroying the recipe or taste of the product).

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-29-2003 - 9:26pm
mmm, coconut milk. so fatty but so yummy! last week T made me coconut milk curry with tofu and veggies and it was so yummy. i bet it would be yummy in muffins, though i never thought of that!