What brought you here?

iVillage Member
What brought you here?
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 12:38am
What brought you to Gym Rats? How did you find it? What other boards did you explore at iVillage at the time? Do you still go to the other ones?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 10:34am
i was specifically looking for a fitness related message board that i liked, because talking about this stuff is one of my favorite topics of conversation and i didn't know many people to discuss it with. i browsed through a lot before i came across ivillage. on others i had seen, people were obsessed with diets, or they just weren't serious enough about fitness, or the personalities created an atmosphere i didn't like. when i tried ivillage, the name "gym rats" sounded perfect and then when i checked it out, it was just what i had been looking for, so i stayed. i haven't really gone anywhere else on ivillage except vegetarian living once in a while, but i don't post there often.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 1:16pm
I've been an ivillage member for four years. I used to cl a couple of the writing boards, but had to give it up when I went back to school because of lack of time. So, when I started working out and needed to find like minded people to ask questions of and talk with I came here first. I waded through the other fitness boards until I found a place with like minded individuals and carved a niche. I don't visit the old boards much. A few of the newer members don't show the committment to writing that I think is necessary to "make it" and it irritates me to see them waste everyones time how they do. Even though I know not everyone has the same goals or drive I just can't reconcile it enough to be nice to them so it is best if I don't visit there any longer.

I love it here. I love being challenged to learn new things and step outside of what I "know". I love being able to ask questions and get thoughtful answers from people who have many of the same values. I love being able to see people starting out where I used to be and being able to share my experiences and hopefully help them along. Personally, I quite like on-line communities. Not because I can't or don't socalize in person but because I can pick and choose things that interest me and not have to deal with things that don't.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-29-2003 - 12:09pm
I love on-line communities, too. I like finding people who share my interests and I get on when I have a couple of minutes and you can't do that in real life (get a group of people w/ an interest in a topic and chat when you have time, leave when you want, etc.)

I visited iVillage on ocassion and cam across the boards. I also went to Extreme Sports which is a great board, too, but I don't quite fit in. I'd love to be more like that so I lurk there.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-29-2003 - 4:40pm
I visited the gym rats board to get an opinion on something and I got such good advice that I kept reading all of the posts and decided this community was exactly what I needed to stay motivated and get great tips/new ideas! I lurk a few places but rarely post...sometimes I post on the military wives board. :)

kathrine

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 4:39am
Long story about how I ended up here... my mom, who is overweight and completely sedentary, sent my sisters & I an email about working out to look good -- something about finding an old photo of herself when she was young and thin.

My sister, who is a real gym rat, sent a response saying, in effect, that looking good was great but there were so many other reasons to work out. She included links to some ivillage articles on the health benefits of fitness (I think they were Fit by Friday). So I clicked on them, read them, and thought "Hmmm... what is this ivillage thing?" I started checking out some of the message boards, posted a question about my knee problems on a couple of them. I got by FAR the best advice here, and was really touched at how much thought and care people put into their responses. I started lurking a little and was just so impressed with the community here, esp. with how supportive everyone is and how much people emphasize health rather than looks. So I stuck around! I'm still so impressed with everyone here and I'm so happy I stumbled across this group.

~ Vanessa

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 2:02pm
I was an occasional lurker for a few months but never posted. Once the format for the message boards changed, I added this board as one of my favorites. I started posting and I've been hooked ever since! I'm also an active poster on the Shape Up message board, which has been my "home" since 1999. Those are my two most visited boards but I lurk on others as well.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 4:20pm
I am not sure where but I found the Runners Board. I love running, during the summer I get out about 3 times a week and run. But I am definitely more of a gym rat than a runner, I see running as part of my cardio for the week. I also ride the bike, do the stepper, lift weights, take kickboxing, step, body pump, and cardio combo classes. Most people (besides other woman at the gym) have no idea what a body pump or cardio combo class is, so it was nice to get into discussions and not have to explain what actually goes on in these classes. Not only that I find this board to be very health conscious. Losing weight, diet, vitamins, injuries, food, sneakers, and supplements are all discussed. It is more than a "gym rats" board, it is the all-around healthy women board :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 5:46pm
I'm a fitness rat so I thought it would be a great place for me to visit :o). I hang out on Fit Over 40 a lot---love that board. Women over 40 getting into the best shape of their lives. Deb
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 9:57pm
I enjoy working out for both the health benefits and the camaraderie -- in real life. This board is an extension of that. It covers all the aspects of exercise which I am currently keen on. I chose a "general" board vs. a specialized one such as Pilates, Running, etc. Because I love step aerobics, I also frequent www.turnstep.com. I think the name Gym Rats is quite apropos. The gym is my second home. I do everything but sleep at the gym.

Peach Blossom
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 11:06pm
I was looking for a female opinion on my gym wardrobe, the whole spandex thing. You were all supportive and told me to go for it. I even wear a body suit during spinning and a speedo in the pool now, don't even think about it. I hope a male opinion is appreciated as well.

Thanks

Pages