any experience with thermogenics to lose

iVillage Member
any experience with thermogenics to lose
Sun, 06-29-2003 - 9:27pm
I am looking into something to aid in weight loss. Working out and diet are working but I seem to have stalled and no adjustment to the diet (unless extremly low calories) or amount I workout seems to be budging the number. Belive me I have 30lb to go to be at the high end of my weight ( for height), I am sure you will all think they are crazy to take (?), but just wondered. The Dermalean cream (Yohimbine), has been written up in several magazines as having actualy worked extremly well. I am sure some people must have taken them as they are so popular, but what success you have is another thing.

~fab~

Sorry I edited this because someobene felt the info I provided to get feedback looked like spam. Sorry to cause problems, it truely wasnt my intention. Anyhow, still interested in feedback on thermogenics, your experience, what kinds etc, if any

thanks

Edited 6/30/2003 5:54:28 AM ET by fabmein2003

Edited 6/30/2003 6:24:19 AM ET by fabmein2003

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-29-2003 - 9:50pm
this sounds an awful lot like spam. I don't think such blatant advertising is permitted on these boards.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 2:55pm
This post strikes several chords within me. First, I can see and empathize with your frustration at having hit the wall. I can also understand your desire to jump start the gains (or in this case losses) that have slowed down.

But…

Don’t you hate that word?

I think that your focus is slightly fuzzy and your path is littered with dangerous vices.

I’ve been significantly overweight for the past four years, and always “heavy”. I too started working out and eating better this year and have also lost weight. (Just under 15% of my total body weight) I too have hit “the wall”. The difference is that I’ve researched the way a body works and weight gain and loss and what to expect so I’m not tempted to fall for gimmicks like drugs to lose weight.

You mention this goal of losing 30 pounds more. You say that the weight you would be at then is at the “high end” of the chart. What chart? It is widely recognized by the fitness and health community that the weight/height charts devised by the insurance companies are inaccurate and downright dangerous to body image. They were created by companies who used them to increase premiums for people outside the size listed as normal as “high risk”. Their very nature is extremely narrow and not at all reflective of where you should be. Have you talked with a doctor about what your weight should be based on frame measurements? Have you talked to a doctor for help in setting weight loss goals at all? I’ve read research that indicated that people who are left to set their own weight loss goals have a huge failure rate because they don’t understand the physiology of weight loss and set unrealistic goals that they then fail to achieve. EVERYONE should discuss their goals with their doctor and understand the way to SAFELY lose weight before starting out. And lastly, have you considered NOT using weight as your determining factor on health and instead gone with body fat measurements and physical accomplishments?

When I joined L3L I met 8 other overweight people (my class) that had tried things like drugs, weight watchers, Jenny Craig, the Atkins diet and a million other things. They all failed. For most, 6 out of 8, L3L turned out to be “another diet plan”. The other two of us took it to heart. It is a lifestyle change, not a means to an end. There is NO end to being healthy. To get to a healthy body you have to live healthy. That means… no drugs, no gimmicks, no short cuts and no excuses. To lose weight, to reach your goal, you have to live life, regularly, like you will live it when you are done losing. Does that make sense? Let me try this again. You should not be doing anything in the quest for losing weight that you aren’t willing to do for the rest of your life. Are you willing to take thermogenics for the rest of your life? If so, then yes, they are for you. If not, and I suspect that is the case, then no. Eating a healthy diet is not a temporary thing to drop pounds; it is a lifelong commitment to your own well-being. Exercise is not something you do for a few weeks, months or even years until you reach a goal. It is something that you do forever.

I know that it is tempting. I’ve been there, heck, I’m still there. But do you really want to take drugs that can potentially harm your body? Isn’t the goal a healthier body? These companies are exploiting individual’s desire to look better, nothing more. Have you actually read the enclosures to these products? Do you know what they say? “Individual results may vary” and “use product with sensible diet and exercise”. Do you honestly know what that means? They have hopped you up on caffeine and ephedrine and made you do what you are doing already, then claiming credit for YOUR work! Skip the drugs. Look at your diet again; there is always something you can tweak, without starving yourself or being stupid about your food. Change your exercise routine and make sure you are REALLY working out and not going through the motions. Plateaus happen, work through them.

I’m just going to jump off this soap-box now. Ultimately the decision whether or not to take drugs is yours. If I were you I would step back and seriously consider what you want health-wise, then decide if taking drugs is really the way to get there. If all you care about is falling within insurance weight/height charts then there are a million stupid ways to get there, thermogenics are just one of them…

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 3:03pm
good post kiervin! thanks for taking the time to write all that. i agree that the only sensible way to lose fat is healthy diet and exercise, and that emphasis on a healthy lifestyle rather than numbers on a scale is the way to go. there's absolutely no point in reaching a certain number on a scale if you are harming your body in doing so. while more drastic measures may be appropriate (under the care of a doctor) for someone who is several hundred pounds overweight, for the rest of us i think it's counterproductive to try to self-medicate one's way to a lean body.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 3:14pm
Thanks for the talk girls.......frustration got the better of me and I was looking for something "outside" to help, rather than looking within to work harder ( sheesh!)

Ok again, committed to better health, the old fashioned way

Thanks again

~fab~

PS I knew there was a reason I hemme and hawed about ordering. My gut told me it was dangerous but I wanted to believe otherwise
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 5:00pm
Excellent post! I'm in the same shoes as you guys...I really needed to read that because I seem to fall into those traps all the time! :)

kathrine

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 5:54pm
Jen I totally agree with you! All those "charts" and "calculators" and indexes are a bunch of crap. According to one dumb calculator from Cosmo my boyfriend is considered "obese"! He is 6'0", weighs 210 pounds, and has 8% bodyfat - hello, I don't think that's obese! He's got abs, striations, and ridiculous vascularity even when he sleeps!