Stiff legged deadlifts

iVillage Member
Stiff legged deadlifts
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:04pm
Have any of you tried these?

Silly me to think I was working my hamstrings doing curls. I did my first SLDL on Saturday -- 2 sets with just the bar and then I added 5 kg for the last set. Didn't feel like much at the time, I was concentrating on squeezing my hams and glutes like you're supposed to, rather than lifting with your back.

Ow. OW!! 25 freaking kilos and I swear to God, I still feel hobbled 48 hours later. This is ridiculous. How could SLDL with that light a weight be so much harder on the hamstrings than hamstring curls with 2x that weight?

Note to self: do not try new compound leg exercises the day before going on a hike.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:14pm
I seem to have trouble with any exercise that requires you to keep your back flat - yoga poses, deadlifts...
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:38pm
Really? Have you had back problems in the past? Hmm... wish I knew more.

I'm okay with the back, actually. I was really anal about keeping my back flat/slightly arched. I must have been doing it right, since I felt it pleasantly in my back, no strain at all. Stretched it out nice at the end of my workout and I was good to go.

But OUCH in my hamstrings!

It was fun, though. I can't wait until the soreness goes away and I can do it again. I may be the first person ever to do these at my gym. Take THAT, you big-chested, stick-legged peacekeepers!

~ Vanessa

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:41pm
really? i'll have to try them - i hate hamstring curls (actually i never do them) but i do need to work hamstrings. what is that site again you go to that gives you the proper form?
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:50pm
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

I wish I could post the exact link but it doesn't show up in the address bar -- go to "training" then "learn to worship at the altar of the goddess of form" then scroll down until you get to the "dork to diva" link. There are Do's & Don'ts pictures for a bunch of basic compound exercises, along with really good descriptions.

Normally I use www.exrx.net but their pix of the various stiff/straight-legged deadlifts made me cringe -- all rounded back and locked knees. I don't know why they show them like this but they scared me.

It still baffles me that an exercise that looks so deceptively simple -- I mean, it looks like it's ALL in the back -- would work the hamstrings so well.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:52pm
I do dead lifts and they are a great exercise for the hamstrings. I think you feel them better because it's a new exercise. Whenever you use muscles differently than you're used to using them, you'll feel it. Glad you found something you like!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 2:26pm
so i assume you could do these with hand weights too, right?
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 6:03pm
Man I love those!!! They force the ham to be isolated, and you're also stretching it at the same time you're working it. Double benefit! Keep knees slightly bent, back straight: slowly lower bar, and it should be so close to your legs it should almost scrape as it's lowered and raised again. Concentrating on your hams/glutes on your way up and then sort of flexing and thrusting them out slightly at the peak will give you some added oomph! Love that word. Want even more stretch? Put some 1-1 1/2 inch plates under the balls of your feet and you'll be begging for mercy (and tylenol) the next day. If I'm in a particularly sadistic mood, I'll do giant sets of deadlifts immediately to prone leg curls - thank goodness for deep tissue sports massage! hehe

Ugggh, tomorrow is leg day - quads only...now THAT will give me a heck of a lot of pain! But the good kind!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 9:51pm
I haven't had back problems per se - no major pain, etc. But as a child I had to go see a chiropractor often. My back just rounds naturally.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 11:00am
Dead lifts are great but can be very dangerous if performed incorrectly. If anyone is considering trying them out, make sure you have a professional help you with your form. It's very easy to pull/strain your back doing them.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 11:28am
Yes! True! And I should have said that earlier.

Before I tried mine I practiced several times in the mirror with a broomstick -- no weights -- and then compared my form to the pictures and descriptions I had. I wish I had a coach or a trainer here who could monitor my form for some of the more complicated compound movements. Even though my knees aren't ready for squats yet, I would be afraid to try to learn them on my own. Same for regular deadlifts, though those are slightly harder to screw up.

Pages