Thinkers!

iVillage Member
Thinkers!
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 7:26am
So here is my shot at Q&A - for some reason I love these!

1) What is your favorite bodypart(s) to work out?

2. What is your favorite exercise for that/those part/s?

3. What about least favorite? What really makes you groan?

4. If there was one aspect of your gym you could change what would it be and why?

5. What is your favorite feelgood meal ?

6. Favorite food indulgence?

7. What do you listen to when you work out, if you listen to anything at all?

8. Do you work out alone or with a partner?

iVillage Member
In reply to: gymgirl1338
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 9:06am
My,only half a cup of coffee down, are you sure it's not Monday? answers....LOL....

) What is your favorite bodypart(s) to work out? I think it'd be my biceps, although legs come in a close second.

2. What is your favorite exercise for that/those part/s? hammer curls

3. What about least favorite? What really makes you groan? I despise step ups....ick!

4. If there was one aspect of your gym you could change what would it be and why? I can't think of anything right now...I love my gym!

5. What is your favorite feelgood meal ? Not the best at eating good...will have to get back to you on that one! lol

6. Favorite food indulgence? bratwurst (how bad is that?) :)

7. What do you listen to when you work out, if you listen to anything at all? usually CMT, or local radio stations...I like to sing while working out...(mouthing the words only, of course! ;) )

8. Do you work out alone or with a partner? I weight train with my trainer...cardio I do alone.

Great questions!

kathrine

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 9:22am

hmm, i hate lifting weights, so i guess i'd have to say my heart, during cardio!

step

it's so hard to pick only one least favorite exercise, because i hate all strength training! maybe pull ups/chin ups.

4. If there was one aspect of your gym you could change what would it be and why?

i wish our instructor weren't leaving at my work gym. he's the whole reason i go there. i'll probably stop going there once he leaves. (luckily i belong to two other gyms!)

lately it's hunan "beef" (seitan) and veggies over brown rice from vegetable garden. i'm on a hunan beef kick lately.

pizza with soy cheese

i haven't been working out much outside of classes lately, i'm even doing bodysculpting for my strength training. but usually i don't listen to anything when i lift. if i get on a cardio machine or go running, i'll either listen to the radio (pop/hiphop), a commercial aerobics cd (to familiarize myself with it), or once in a while one of my bf's rock cds (lately i've found jimmy eat world very motivating to workout to).

alone or in classes.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 9:43am
1) What is your favorite bodypart(s) to work out? Tie between back and chest. On chest day I think "Oh, this is definitely my favorite." Then comes back day....

Chest: barbell bench press. Back: bent over dumbbell rows.

Does cardio count? BO-ring!

I would add air conditioning. Because it must be 90 degrees out there today and it's so hard to motivate myself to go work out.

Lentil soup with tons of veggies in winter, fruit salad in summer.

Cheese!

Right now I'm stuck with the music at the gym, which ranges from death metal to the Ketchup song to "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel. But in a few weeks I'll have a new mp3 player loaded up with my favorite happy 80s music!

8. Do you work out alone or with a partner? Alone.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 10:53am

Chest

Bench Press

Least favorite is shoulders. I groan when it comes to working my legs and grunt when I'm working my chest!

I'd like to see more diversity in ethnic background and body shapes in the crowd I workout with. Everyone in my gym seems to look the same, including the instructors. I'd like to see more variety. I've only had a "heavier" instructor once and she was really good. I'd like to see more big girls instruct classes.

I like grilled salmon with fresh asparagus.

Do you mean cheat food? I would really love to have mac-n-cheese. I can't remember the last time I tasted really good mac-n-cheese.

I listen to mix CDs with various artists including: The Artist, Classic Michael Jackson, The Gap Band, Nelly, Brandy, L.L., etc.

Alone although I would love to have a partner who is at my level or slightly above. I'm a wanna-be social gym rat but I don't have anyone to workout with. None of my real-life friends are in to working out.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 11:01am
about "large" instructors... there are two women in my favorite step class that the instructor keeps trying to convince to become instructors. they both insist they aren't in shape enough to be instructors, even though they admit they are physically fit enough to do it! they say they enjoy class because they admire the instructor's body and her fitness level as better than theirs and that's what motivates them to work hard (guess they won't be coming to any of my classes anytime soon!)

the strange thing is that both these women are very slim and are fit. maybe this attitude is part of what prevents larger women from becoming instructors. perhaps it is why at my gym the gym members themselves are diverse both in size and racially, but the instructors are not.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 11:57am
Maybe I shouldn't tell you this BUT....lol...I make a killer homemade mac and cheese!It's my downfall too because it's one of my husbands' favorites!

kathrine :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 12:48pm
Ohhhh, yum! Homemade mac and cheese is the best. To think that my sisters and I used to turn our noses up at my dad's because he put onions in it!
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 1:33pm
1) What is your favorite bodypart(s) to work out? My abs. So help me, I WILL make them flat!

2. What is your favorite exercise for that/those part/s? Good ol' crunches

3. What about least favorite? What really makes you groan? Whatever its called when you lift both legs in the air, lift your back off the ground and balance in a V-position until the instructor tells us to stop.

4. If there was one aspect of your gym you could change what would it be and why? More space so that they could have cardio classes. As it is, our abs class is in a raquetball court.

5. What is your favorite feelgood meal ? Black beans with garlic, onion and cilantro, and a piece of crusty bread.

6. Favorite food indulgence? Homemade pizza

7. What do you listen to when you work out, if you listen to anything at all? I don't listen to music while I work out, but I always have a song in my head

8. Do you work out alone or with a partner? Alas, alone. I like to just get up and go whenever I want. I'm too impatient to coordinate anything.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 3:50pm
1) What is your favorite bodypart(s) to work out? Bi's and tri's - they've been the most responsive muscles, and they're nice and strong.

2. What is your favorite exercise for that/those part/s? I love standing preacher curls with a cambered barbell for bi's, and skullcrushers with cambered barbell for tri's.

3. What about least favorite? What really makes you groan? Quads - especially hack squats. I feel like a sadist when I do those; I guess it's a love/hate thing. A coworker of mine watched me do a set and she said I looked like I was going to barf the whole time!!!

4. If there was one aspect of your gym you could change what would it be and why? I'm friends with the owners - we're going to be putting floor-to-ceiling mirrors in the weight room soon. We just got 80 brandnew pieces of cardio, and half of them have 15" plasma TVs on them - how neat is that???

5. What is your favorite feelgood meal ? It was tuna sashimi until I got food poisoning...now it is 97% lean ground beef with a chopped vidalia onion and whole wheat pasta - you guys should try it, it's yummy!

6. Favorite food indulgence? I don't have just one...PASTA PASTA PASTA! Bittersweet chocolate mousse! Anything my Mom makes! Butter! Cream! I looove food!

7. What do you listen to when you work out, if you listen to anything at all? I'm in the process of buying an MP3 player; CD players are too bulky. But I listen to techno when I'm doing cardio, or 80s hits

8. Do you work out alone or with a partner? I train with my boyfriend. He pushes me that extra bit, but lately he's been in a little slump so I've been pushing him. Otherwise I work out by myself.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 1:14pm
1) What is your favorite bodypart(s) to work out? Legs!

2. What is your favorite exercise for that/those part/s? sled (have I mentioned that I love compound exercises?) then squats

3. What about least favorite? What really makes you groan? I hate working my shoulders. It is a battle every week.

4. If there was one aspect of your gym you could change what would it be and why? More cables please.

5. What is your favorite feelgood meal ? Fresh grilled ahi with a scoop of rice and steamed broccoli.

6. Favorite food indulgence? pizza

7. What do you listen to when you work out, if you listen to anything at all? I have a mini disc player loaded with 80's dance tracks. There is nothing like hitting the cardio wall and having "Big Country" kick in.

8. Do you work out alone or with a partner? Alone mostly. I sometimes meet up with hubby at the gym and will work with him on stuff I can't do alone (heavy bench and heavier squats) but I'm not good at waiting my turn when I get all fired up so I steer clear of workout partners.

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press