i just saw the coolest thing on oprah!

iVillage Member
i just saw the coolest thing on oprah!
Thu, 07-03-2003 - 5:35pm
you gals will love this...there's a town in a remote part of alaska that had no 24 hour emergency responders. so the firechief of the town trained a bunch of teenage girls to be the town's (actually a pretty large region around the town too) emts and firefighters. they are the only ones on call 24 hours a day, they do it all - they drive the firetruck, fight the fires, pull people out of burning buildings, give emergency medical treatment (sometimes using snowmobiles to reach people!) and transport emergency patients to the nearest medical facility, which isn't very close. they have to keep up good grades and be drug and alcohol free to stay on the team. they are called the dragonslayers. isn't that so cool!? in their town where almost no kids go onto further education after high school, former dragonslayers are in college pre-med, training as paramedics, working as trained water rescuers, serving in the navy as emergency medical rescue.
Community Leader
Thu, 07-03-2003 - 11:18pm
That's interesting. I wonder if this could be brought to other areas, too.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 12:41pm
Well, now I'm bummed I missed Oprah! I only recently started watching her again (after several years boycotting) and have been so pleased with what I'm seeing.

We were talking about giving girls that connection and guidance just yesterday at the gym (not mine, our daughters for gymnastics). One of the students from "way back" was visiting from college. She is going into her senior year at Texas Tech and has maintained a 4.0 and was talking about her volunteer work at the local boys and girls club teaching gymnastics to underprivledged kids. Most of us were speculating that the reason she has done so well in life is the involvement of her parents and the connection to the community that she had through gymnastics. I think any organized sport or community service project will build a more confident, more successful child. That is why I haven't blinked an eye when our daughter asks to do something else. TKD, gymnastics (she JUST started this), cheerleading, scouting and soccer SEEM like a lot, but she is was head of her class in all subjects and is enjoying the extra curricular stuff.

Jen, thanks for sharing this. You have confirmed what I believe. Children (girls especially) NEED these programs to better their chances in our world. We worry about being well-rounded, but how many of us really worry about whether our children or children we know are? (I'll just jump down off this soap box and go do some research and write and article now...)

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press