Surviving summer break

iVillage Member
Surviving summer break
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 12:55pm
I've been pretty lucky that hubby has a flexible job. Most days he is home by about 2:00 so I can hit the gym. This week our son started his summer reading program (he's still a bit behind so he is getting small group tutoring from one of the teachers for a month, actually daughter's scout leader and teacher from this past year). Anyway, that left me wondering if I could take our daughter with me to the gym. They said she is still too young to hang out in the weight room, so that was a no from the gym.

Hubby suggested doing some cardio at home with her. We started doing the two mile loop together. We run (she mostly skips) until it gets too much, then I piggy back her the rest of the way. Let me tell you, I am already seeing a difference in my quads from adding that 67 pounds on my back for the last mile. And, my heart-rate has been kept in the cardio range even though I'm walking when I carry her.

So, I found one way to bump up my cardio and still be a "good mom" while doing it. I know I'm not the only one with kids though so thought it might come in handy for others to know that you can work out with young ones, you just have to use them creatively in the process~

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 3:59pm
Good idea! I love the idea of using your children as workout partners! That's a lot of extra weight to piggy back! I wonder if I can do walking lunges holding my daughter. I used to do my abs with my son by lying on my back and bending my knees, holding them in a superman position. Then I'd lift my legs and do crunches. I need to get creative, too, for the summer.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 10:55am
Wow... 67 pounds is quite a load. I'm impressed.

I'm an occasional lurker on misc.fitness.weights and there's a poster there who refers to her "Sammy squats" -- she just squats with her son on her back. Must be great for your balance if you manage to do it without blowing out your back!