gym etiquette question?

iVillage Member
gym etiquette question?
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 3:51pm
There is a woman who occasionally attends the classes at my gym, and she is a distraction in many ways.

First of all, she comes in very late, and has no idea what she's doing and kind of flails around hopelessly, and leaves early as well.

Secondly, she dresses kind of inappropriately (street clothing) so there's another visual distraction.

All this wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for this:

SHE SMELLS LIKE SHE HASN'T SHOWERED IN THREE MONTHS. It reeks. Really really badly.

Would you consider it rude to say something? What is a bigger breach of etiquette, someone telling her that she should shower and use deodorant, or her disregard for everyone else in the class?

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 8:01pm
That can be really frustrating. I have had instructors close the door and tell late comers they can't do the class. To be honest, though, if I were an instructor, I wouldn't do it. I'm too wimpy. Personally, I wouldn't say anything to someone if he/she were annoying or bothering me, only if it directly impacted me, like someone standing too close to be safe. I have a friend who told me someone said to her that she was messing her up because she wasn't on the beat all the time. My friend told the person, "So...don't look at me..." Ignoring the person and paying more attention to the instructor and what you do is probably most effective. On the body odor part, I've had that happen too and it's hard to ignore. In that case I'd do the same as I do outside the gym which is try to stay far away. I can't think of a nice way to tell someone that.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 8:31pm
the biggest problem with the BO is that she always happens to stand in front of the fan so that the smell is EVERYWHERE. So nothing short of a gas mask would do the trick! lol