Anyone drink recovery drinks?

iVillage Member
Anyone drink recovery drinks?
Sun, 07-06-2003 - 4:35pm
I bought some drinks at GNC yesterday (since it was 20% off with Gold Card LOL). I bought the Designer Whey protein drinks that you are supposed to drink after you workout and then I bought some "Fat Shredder" drinks by 'Worldwide'. Those you are supposed to drink half before you workout and the other half while you work out. I was wondering, can't those protein drinks make you fat if you don't work out hard enough to warrant them? How hard do you have to workout to even need "recovery" drinks? Any help would be awesome! :) ~N

~shesminetoo

Mom to 3yr old *E* and stepmom to 10 yr old *M*

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-06-2003 - 7:46pm
I've never heard of those, from everything i've read unless you are an elite athlete you don't need sports drinks either, just stick with water!
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-06-2003 - 9:00pm
I don't drink any recovery drinks, either. I do have a home made protein smoothie after a workout if I've lifted. As to whether you'll gain weight with it, read the label and see how many calories it has. If you're just adding it to your diet w/out adjusting elsewhere (either by taking in fewer calories at other meals or burning off more during a workout), you'll be taking in that many more calories. I agree w/ zorbs about sticking with water, but I don't know what's in the recovery drinks to say if they're good or not.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 12:00am
I don't buy the prepared recovery drinks, they are too high in calories and not made to fuel my body HOW I WANT. I do however regularly have a protein shake immediately following my workout. I use either a scoop or two, depending on that day's diet, of whey protein powder (pro-lab orange vanilla swirl is my favorite, followed by the vanilla, the chocolate is just gross) with cold water from the fountain (both hubby and I have multiple shake bottles with it premeasured so all we have to do is add water and go). It serves three purposes. First, the protein fuels muscle repair and contibutes to my post-workout nutritional needs. Second, they are part of my overall diet plan on workout days. I have 6 meals on workout days, I plan at least one of those to be a protein shake, if it is especially hot or if I'm very busy I make it two. The kind/brand I use is only 130 calories a serving (remember I mix with water so no added calories there) but has 22 grams of protein, 6 grams of carbs and only 2 grams of fat. And third. Because I tend to eat very lightly before workouts (usually just a grapefruit and cup of coffee) I get super hungry after two hours in the gym. I used to come home and graze, making very bad choices and generally blowing my bid for a healthier lifestyle. If I have the shake during my drive home I'm good to go for a couple of hours before I need to eat. By then I've cooked something healthy and don't blow it.

I think that the prepared shakes are fine as long as you are careful to monitor what is in them (are they made with milk? is there added sugar? etc.) and how that fits in your overall diet plan. If you are trying to add in a meal, especially one primarily of protein, it is a good way to fill the void. I would be super careful to check what is in any drink before, drink during prepared drinks. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that they contain ephedrine or caffeine or any other number of potentially harmful substances. The key with this, like everything, is knowing what you are getting and weighing how that fits with your lifestyle and desires. For me, the protein shakes I make are a convenient and healthy way to fill a spot in my daily diet, they are part of recovery, but so is everyday regular eating. Do what works for you. Hope this helps.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 8:50am
From what I've been able to read, recovery drinks are intended for (but not just marketed to) serious athletes who are spending hours a day training, people who are competitors, not really the "average" (I don't think we're that average, are we?) athlete. They're marketed to everybody, though, I think they'd like us to think we need to spend major bucks to buy their products! I agree with everybody else--check the calories, check the ingredients, and check how much protein is in it to make sure you're keeping everything balanced.

I will drink Gatorade/Powerade if I'm going to be on the bike for 3-4 hours, simply because your body can only store enough glycogen to fuel a workout for about two hours. But for my garden-variety nights at the gym (1 1/2 hours or less), I just drink water and try to eat something healthy afterward if it's not too late.

Welcome to the board!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com