Body Bar Exercises

iVillage Member
Body Bar Exercises
Sun, 07-06-2003 - 7:37pm
Hello everyone!

I just purchased a body bar, 8lbs. but you can add weights and increase it to 12 lbs. I've used this piece of equipment once during a circuit class and quite liked it but would now like to incorporate it into my at home workout. Can you suggest any exercises or moves which I can do with this bar? Are there any videos specifically for this piece of equipment? Except for exercises requiring palm/hand rotation(s), can I more or less use the bar in place of dumbbells?

As always, thanks for your help!

Peach Blossom

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-06-2003 - 7:51pm
We use body bars for tons of exercises at the gym.

bicep curls, lat pulldowns, frontal raises, upright row, hold it behind your back with your palms facing outward and pull up along your spine for triceps.

for floor moves, you can lie on a bench and do 'skull crushers', use as resistance for leg lifts to work inner and outer thigh

for stability or resistance while doing squats and lunges...

I think that's just for starters.

Edited 7/7/2003 10:14:13 AM ET by zorbslovessporks

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-06-2003 - 9:05pm
Zorb had good suggestions. I've only used them in class, too. You can use them to do the same things as barbells. We also used them for lower body, like walking lunges by holding them across our shoulders. You can also use them to help balance for stretches, though I don't know that it's any better than the wall.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 5:59am
I would think you could use them for anything that you would do with a barbell (and depending on hand position, a lot of what you would do with dumbbells).

Try looking at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This lists all major muscle groups and different exercises that target them -- broken down by barbell, dumbbell, machines, etc. It would be a great place to start for ideas.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 10:13am
the only exercise that I would recommend doing with a dumbbell instead of a body bar are side raises, it is very awkward to side lift something that's long and skinny.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 7:48pm
Thanks everyone! Those were excellent suggestions. I'll try them all!

Peach Blossom