Do you buy any magazine's that help you?

iVillage Member
Do you buy any magazine's that help you?
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 11:30am
I recently bought FitnessRx for Women and found it to be rather interesting. I just bought my second one last night and haven't read it all the way through. Anyway, other mags that I have read are Muscle and Fitness Hers and Fitness. So what do you read and would you recommend it? ~N

~shesminetoo

Mom to 3yr old *E* and stepmom to 10 yr old *M*

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 12:03pm
Muscle and Fitness Hers, I also like. I love Self magazine, alot of workout tips and beauty tips that I can not find in other places. Shape and Fitness are also good, but I prefer M&F Hers and Self.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 12:37pm
I'll have to check out M&F Hers. Thanks for the recommendation. On occasion, I'll pick up Shape or Fitness but they're too much of the same thing after a while. For health magazines, I like Health, Organic Style and Prevention, in that order.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 4:02pm
I rarely buy magazines for fitness because my bf already has subscriptions to like four different ones. Well, ones for dudes, anyway, I'd be a little worried if he were receiving "Shape" in the mail (although he does let me tweeze his eyebrows!). He gets "Muscular Development", "Flex", "Men's Fitness", and "Musclemag." Those mags are filled with a ton of crap advertisements, but when you get to an article they are SOOOO informative on different exercises and routines. Usually they'll give detailed photos or drawings on how to do a certain exercise PROPERLY. They will usually devote an 8-page spread to a certain body part - most recent was for Back Day - and they'll list the pros' workouts and even show you photo stills of the pros working out. And what is refreshing is that yeah, they're all huge and juiced out of their minds, but every single guy emphasizes form form form!!!

The mags also have more clear-cut information for dieting as well; one article was three pages on why red meat should be included in your diet . They also gave recipes and the nutritional breakdown.

And one more thing. Before you guys go out and look at these mags, just be prepared for the female models in them - they're in pretty provocative clothing (or lack thereof) and in some compromising positions. *However* I prefer looking at these women much more than the models featured in "Shape." These women are real - you can see their muscles, see that they work out, and they're not all stick-thin - they have curves! Maybe silicone enhanced, but hey, they got booty!!! Besides, one of my girlfriends was a Muscular Develpment pinup, so I gotta support hehe!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 4:15pm
Oh yeah- I love M&F Hers. In fact, about 2 hours ago I mailed in the subscription card so now I'll never miss an issue! I like M&F Hers because the magazine is geared toward women who are serious about working out and have day jobs too! It's the right magazine for a person who makes fitness a top priority.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 9:40pm
Yeah, I like men fitness magazines, too. I read them at the gym. I think they're more results oriented and not as many "how to look pretty" articles as some womens. There are a lot of sex articles, I've noticed, in place of the beauty ones.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 7:22am
yeah - i agree about the sex - MD has some really funny ones - it's like "Cosmo" for guys, i get such a kick out of reading them! but i agree about the articles, which is why i believe his mags are a better choice for me.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 1:55pm
I don't read fitness magazines or any other magazines really. If I were to buy a magazine, it probably wouldn't be fitness-related, but I would read any fitness/healthy lifestyle articles in it.