Would you train someone?

iVillage Member
Would you train someone?
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 8:22am
Would you help someone develop a program at the gym, if asked, or would you leave that to the pros? Would you ever speak up if someone were eating something they thought was good for them (like a bagel or pretzels made with white flour), if it didn't come up in conversation?

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 8:26am
I obviously am not good enough to train someone so that is out of the question. LOL However, if I saw someone eating something bad for them I wouldn't say anything. Most likely unless we got started talking and then I might casually mention it! :) ~N

~shesminetoo

Mom to 3yr old *E* and stepmom to 10 yr old *M*

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 8:39am
Not sure that I would "design" a training program for someone, but if someone asked me for help, I would consider it. I think at this point I could give someone general guidelines for a beginner weight training program, break down the major muscle groups and which exercises work which groups, help them develop a schedule, and give feedback on their form.

This really only applies to exercises that I do myself and am comfortable explaining -- I wouldn't feel safe helping someone with squats because I haven't learned them myself. My friend just asked me to help her get started with weights and I was really excited to start explaining the basics.

As for speaking up when not asked... no, I wouldn't. I would try to bring up healthy nutrition in conversation ("I read the most interesting article today...") but I wouldn't point out something someone is doing wrong unless it came up in conversation.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 9:07am
Just anybody at the gym? Nope. But if it was one of my friends who expressed an earnest desire to become fit, I'd do it in a second. As far as what people eat, I figure that's their business unless they ask me what I think, then I'll speak up. If people honestly want to know how I stay in shape, I'm more than willing to tell them, but for a lot of people it just seems to be too much work (sadly) to change what they eat and their evening couch habits. Maybe one day I'll give up engineering to be a trainer, but not quite yet....
Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 11:04am
I've trained people that have asked. I've developed programs for people that have asked. And I learned through experience....ask about their lifestyle requirements that they currently have and find out truly "why" they're trying to reach the goal they're trying to reach. Because alot of inexperienced/undereducated about fitness people are trying to reach a goal they can't possibly reach with the way they're going about it. And they don't know that.

Erin

quickblade14@hotmail.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 1:13pm
I'd leave it to the pros. At least when it comes to lifting. I benefited so much from having Beth ride me about form that I honestly believe everyone should learn with a certified trainer. I have taken friends who have asked to the gym a few times and taught them how to use the cardio machines. I have no problems doing that. Once they are comfortable doing that I suggest they meet with Regina or Beth, and a few have, others weren't serious and stopped coming. I've only felt the need to interfere with a stranger once. That was when the KFC ladies were bad-mouthing my trainer because they weren't losing weight on their program. I mentioned seeing them eating KFC the day before after they left the gym and pointed out that she told them (as she does all of us) that eating is as important as working out. Of course, they don't come to the gym anymore so I don't have to feel bad when I see them for being so rude. As for others, nope, I wouldn't say a word unless asked. I feel that there are too many myths and too much room for opinion regarding diet to get into a discussion about it. When I am asked I promote clean eating, natural foods/naturally prepared and leave the breakdown to the individual. It is too sensitive a subject to give my opinion on much of the time.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 1:42pm
No and Never. I would never train someone unless I was a trained professional. It's too easy to injure oneself and I don't know others' bodies as well as I know my own. In addition, I would never play the food police. I don't like that role and I don't like it when someone else plays that role with me. No one is perfect all of the time and some foods don't affect people the way they may affect me. I'll just worry about my own diet and let the others worry about theirs.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 4:09pm
I would not help just any one person. However, as a few of you mentioned, I will help friends if they're looking for a little advice or inspiration. I took my little brother around the gym once for a general circuit and he liked it, but the exercises were very basic and ones I am very familiar with.

I also agree that exercise police and diet police are a pain in the butt. I was working out a while ago and some dude came up to me out of the blue and said I was doing my exercise wrong. How rude! Now I know I was doing my exercise correctly but this guy *insisted* he was right. He also told me that I better stop lifting such heavy weights or I'll get bulky. I just sighed and let him ramble on; he also insisted that because of the heavy weight, muscle cells multiply, that is why we get big. HA! I told him he is wrong, explained why, and told him I'm fine with my exercise and let him know who my trainer is (my bf). He looked real dumb and backed off.

One former coworker of mine told me on time, "Janie, you need to eat more fat. Have some cheese lasagna. It's good for you." Now I get the right amount of fat for my body from healthy fats like nuts and olive oil; and also this woman is my height 5' and weighs hmm, probably a good 300 pounds. I told her I'll stick to what I'm doing.

When someone asks me about diet, I just recommend healthy eating and let them go purchase a nutrition plan. People can be so sensitive about such things! "What? I can't eat McDonald's anymore??" Jeez!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 7:46pm
I might work with a friend on the basics, but I'd make sure to keep with her for a few weeks to make sure it's right, esp. when it comes to lifting. The cardio is pretty self explanatory after a couple of sessions. I have worked a routine with a friend that we did together. She had been working out a while and knew what she was doing, but the routine was new. That's when I decided I didn't like lifting with someone. I like to do it on my time and not talk during.

On speaking up, I agree about people being the diet police. The only exception I'll make is with my mother who would like to know more, but doesn't know how. If asked, I would say something. When I don't eat some foods, sometimes I'll be asked why and I feel bad tellng them it's bad for me if they're clearly enjoying it and don't care. I think it makes some people feel guilty.