Sunday, personal bests, and a ?......

iVillage Member
Sunday, personal bests, and a ?......
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 9:00am
I've got another story to tell! And it still involves my bike....

We'll re-dub me Countess Crash...My SO and I had planned to go mountain biking (firsts for both of us) this weekend. There's a state park in Wisconsin that's frequented by mountain bikers, so we headed up there yesterday morning. I was up at 3:30 riding out a thunderstorm with The Weather Channel on, and they said that after that series of storms was over, it would be good weather until the afternoon, so at 5:30 we left with our bikes.

We started riding about 7:30, picked a 10-mile loop, and were learning some new things about bike handling. The trail was sandy, rocky, and in some places covered with geogrid--a plastic grid used to control erosion. About 4-5 miles in on this one-way trail, I started hearing rumbles of thunder (what? They said it'd be clear!), which got closer and closer....and then it started to rain. Did I mention I have an irrational fear of thunderstorms? ;) We learned really quickly that geogrid is REALLY slippery when it gets wet, which meant I was running up hills with my bike (It's on 1 1/4" wide tires, not really designed for serious mountain biking) and braking all the way down. By this time it's POURING, the trails are running full of water, and the lightning and thunder are coming very close together, and I'm nearly in a panic to just get the heck out of the woods (but to where? didn't matter!). Over the top of a hill, I lost my bike to some slippery rocks and did a face plant in the trail, bike underneath me, muddy water running under my belly and down the hill (it reminded me of Romancing the Stone). I had banged up my knees pretty good, it was hard to get up, and I was in tears and had had ENOUGH! Fortunately my SO heard the crash and the wailing and came to rescue me, I think he was just glad he didn't have to carry me out of the woods.

So my bike, which has now been in THREE accidents in the last three months, was in better shape than I expected, but the rest of the ride was horrible as the rear derailleur (it shifts gears in the back) was out of line so it sounded like I only shifted halfway and there was sand on the rim and between the hub of the front wheel and the fork, so I was grinding down the trail, which by this time was in very bad shape as it was still pouring rain (and thunder and lightning), and my brake pads are chewed up a little from braking on grit. Me, besides being covered head to toe in sandy mud, I ended up with goose eggs on each knee cap, scrapes on my shins, cuts and scrapes on my knee caps, and a perfect imprint (in purple) of a brake lever, handlebar, and shifter in my inner thigh, along with other miscellaneous bruises that are green and yellow today. I can even see the bruises from where the ends of my tibia met the ground, on either side of my not-so-happy kneecap. Neat, huh? I iced all Sunday night, and my knees weren't too stiff when I got up Monday morning, and I seem to just be dealing with bruises today, so I don't suspect any need for medical attention. Those of you who have been around me for a while can imagine how I'd feel about some sort of knee injury sidelining me for the rest of the summer, I was quite worried for a while!

We got home a little earlier than we expected, but that gave us plenty of time to hose off the bikes in the driveway and do a lot of sandy dirty laundry (the mud came out of my red jersey, woo hoo!) before the next round of thunderstorms (and the next one, and the next one...)

So after Sunday's lack of achievement, I needed a good workout yesterday--I still did my 16 miles on the bike at the gym (moved up from level 11 to 14 since the ride with Dad, it's HARD now!). But I've bested myself on the leg press, I did drop sets of 10 at 235, 215, and 195! And I'm up to 120 on the inner thigh and 80 on the outer thigh, and 135 on the calf raise, all of which are improvements. I can't best anything with my upper body, that tends to get neglected when the free weight area is full of testosterone... ;)

So while I was riding last night, I got to thinking, does anybody know what exactly happens to fat when you burn it? Does it break down into its component parts (which are?)? Do you use the energy value from it and then send it out the excretory system? It's got to go somewhere, right? I can handle technical answers if anybody's got them, I've got some college-level biology in my background!

Thanks! I hope everybody else is managing to stay uninjured and is making good progress!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 1:00pm
Nope, Danger Girl. You are officially Danger Girl. No doubt about it! Glad to hear it didn't side-line you too much. I'd tell you to be careful, but that is like telling my son to be careful. It isn't your fault, it is some strange and terrible misalignment in your world that does these things to you. But, you handle them with style and grace that I could never muster!

As for the fat thing, I don't know. I think when you burn it it finds its way to my stomach. It doesn't really go away, just recycles itself to some other miserable fool.

Be well, and congrats on the personal bests in lifting. Don't they feel great?

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 7:26pm
Ow! I'll bet you look really tough, though! I'm glad it's nothing more than bruises. (Haha, I could jump in now and be really hypocritical and tell you to see a doctor but I know I wouldn't). Have you thought of getting two bikes, one for city and one for mountain biking? I know my hybrid, w/ my lack of skills, couldn't have handled that. I'd have walked. How is your bike after all that?

Good for you on the leg presses! We have some strong women here! That's a good question about where body fat goes. I'd guess something like you said, about your body burning it for energy and there being some by products. I'm going to ask around. If anyone knows, I'd love to learn the technical details, too. Thanks!

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 2:37pm
My bruises are all shades of purple today! My knee motion is fine, there's no pain doing anything, no stiffness, just some ugly ugly bruises. No doctor for this one! Thank goodness the dress I'm wearing to my best friend's shower on Saturday goes about 3" below my knee, the scratches on my shins are ghastly enough without subjecting people to the purple kneecaps!

I have thought of getting another bike, but for a biking season that's about six months long here, it just doesn't seem to be worth it yet. Honestly if I were to get another bike, I'd get a road bike, not a mountain bike, which would leave my Trek for trail riding, which it's not really suited for, so I'd have to bail on the Trek and get two new bikes--nah! It's okay, I fixed the derailleur and after a bath the grinding noise stopped, otherwise it's just some scratches on the crank (that I've found so far...). I just have no desire to ride on trails that aren't in good shape, and in the rain this one wasn't. :\ My SO thought the rocks were bad too, and he's got a bike with suspension and fat tires! That's what we get for trail riding on moraines--they're piles of rocks and sand left behind by glaciers, and this moraine is pretty good-sized. I'm sure we'll go up there and ride again, when the weather is PERFECT and it's been dry for a while!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 3:19am
SO glad to hear you're feeling better and didn't do any permanent damage. When I read about the blow to your knees it just made me cringe. Yikes!