My first workout was last night

iVillage Member
My first workout was last night
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 11:01am
I rode the bike for 10 minutes, did one arm dumbbell rows (5lbs), lat pull downs(I dont know the amount of weight on the machines b/c they say 2/4/6 etc but I KNOW it isn't 2lbs etc, I used the 2), and bench press (on a machine on the 4 setting for one set of 15 and the 2 setting for the other). Then I used a machine to work your abs. Then I walked for 1.25 miles on the treadmill.

Today I am sore just above my boobs but that is it. I would guess that was from the bench presses? I just thought I would be more sore than I am. Did I not lift enough or is it ok to not be sore? TIA ~N

~shesminetoo

Mom to 3yr old *E* and stepmom to 10 yr old *M*

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 11:38am
Sounds like a great start! I wouldn't worry too much about soreness. There is no evidence that DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) indicates that you've had a good workout. Some people never get it at all even when they work to the point of exhaustion, and they still see great gains. It could be dangerous to get into the habit of thinking that you need to be in pain the next day in order to prove to yourself that you've gotten a good workout.

Personally, I tend to get major DOMS every time I do a new type of exercise, and certainly the first time I lifted. I'm also much more likely to get it in my upper back muscles than anywhere else, even if I'm lifting to exhaustion elsewhere. But even if I never feel it in my chest or biceps or whatever, I know I'm making gains because it gets easier and easier to lift weights that used to be impossible.

Once you settle into a routine, you should experiment with different ways of pushing yourself. But in the beginning, it's best just to let your body get used to the movements and take things nice and slow. Muscles adapt much faster than connective tissue, like tendons and ligaments, so it's always a good idea to ease into a weight training program rather than get overambitious and end up hurting yourself.

In other words... you're off to a great start! Keep us posted. :)

~ Vanessa

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 7:15pm
That sounds like a good start. Your chest is probably sore from the press. When you're lifting, are you fatigued by the last rep? You should do it until you can't do one more with good form. If not, either up the reps, if you're not doing many, or up the weights. Have fun!