South Beach Diet & Working Out

iVillage Member
South Beach Diet & Working Out
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 12:31pm
I am curious about the South Beach Diet, the new book advertised all over this website. I was wondering if anyone has tried it/read the book? I have heard of alot of people losing weight on it. I am pretty satisfied with my body, I would love, however, to lose about 4-5 more pounds. What concerns me about the diet is I workout alot, about 6 days a week for over an hour. Can you sustain a moderate-heavy workout schedule on such a diet?

And also, has anyone heard anything about people gaining weight after they go off it?
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 12:48pm
I know nothing about The South Beach Diet but here is a link about it if anyone cares to offer an opinion.

http://www.ivillage.com/diet/features/guests/pages/0,,218936_574140-1,00.html

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 2:30pm
I found a "review" of the South Beach Diet: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24425-2003Jun23.html

I looked at it, and it doesn't look like it would hurt you, except it's not a low-fat diet. The "no exercse" part bothers me too! I think it's basically a more complicated extension of what a lot of us are trying to do here: Mind your portion sizes, try to get the most value out of your food that you can (nutrient dense foods), and eat sensibly with plenty of fruits and vegetables. One of my older sisters is doing something like this diet, and she says she felt great, after the first couple days of intense sugar cravings. She's not carrying much for excess weight, though she never has, and she eats when she's hungry and doesn't seem to stress about her food consumption. It was, however, hard for her to pass on a root beer float....(but she did!)

In my own experience with juice fasts, you *can* work out fairly hard on a day or two of limited calories, but it's not something you can do regularly--your body will ask for more fuel at some point, and if you don't fuel it, it's going to be hard to get out of bed, much less work out. I would think, on a diet like that, you could increase your calorie intake, still following the rules, to support your workouts.

Hope that helps!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 7:13pm
The little I've read about it, it is based on the same idea as other diets, like the Zone where you eat foods based on glycemic values. I think it's a good idea to regulate body sugar, though I do think it's calories that count in weight loss, in the end. The Zone is much less restrictive in that it doesn't have phases you need to follow. It also encourages exercise. It has higher amounts of healthy proteins which is good for lifting. Whichever diet you choose, it needs to be one you can stay on forever. If not, you'll go back to your old way of eating and gain the weight back.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 12:59pm
My personal opinion is that any weight loss/management plan that tells you you don't have to exercise is at best negligent and at worst dangerous. So, I guess my opinion of this plan is that it is at best negligent and possibily dangerous since it doesn't include working out.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press