exercises for diff muscles

iVillage Member
exercises for diff muscles
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 10:34am
After reading the poll this morning and realizing I cannot respond b/c I don't know then I thought I should ask. I have only worked out twice. Each time I did a different routine(not completely different). I forgot my notebook last night b/c we were in a hurry out the door so I didn't get to do the workout I had planned. So I want to work whole body. So what are the major/minor muscles ane what should I do to work those.

Right now my planned workout (that I haven't gotten to do yet UGH) consists of (these are all done with dumbbells) Squats, split squats, deadlifts, dumbbell incline presses, single arm rows, pullovers on a bench, one arm side lateral raises, dumbbell concentration curls, Triceps kickbacks, single leg calf raises. Also I plan to do unilateral and bilateral leg(knee) extensions and seated leg curls. I will do those 3 times a week. On my off days I am planning to work on my exercise ball. I just got it last night. So do you think that is a "whole body" workout? OH yeah I ride the stationary bike for 10 min prior to workout to get HR up and then cool down on the treadmill for 10 minutes.

Thanks for any insight you ladies may have! :) ~N(who is really excited about this working out thing)

~shesminetoo

Mom to 3yr old *E* and stepmom to 10 yr old *M*

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 11:15am
I don't do much with lower body so I'll leave that to the others. For your upper body:

dumbbell incline presses=chest

single arm rows=shoulders

pullovers on a bench=depends, could be shoulders, triceps or chest, depending on what you're doing

one arm side lateral raises=shoulders

dumbbell concentration curls=biceps

Triceps kickbacks=triceps

So, you've got a few shoulders and no back. Lat pull downs (I do the cables, the long bar over your head. Pull down to the chest. This is one where it helps to have someone to show you because you need to engage the shoulders first--lowering them and then pull down) or rows would work it. There are tons of exercises for each part and each works different parts of the muscle, but I think it can get overwhelming when you start so it's better to do one well, unless you have a trainer.

Are you doing abs? That's important, too. You need to be able to support your muscles and not hurt your back. Also, lower back is another. You can lie on the floor on your stomach and lift your arms and legs up so you look like you're flying like superman. That's a basic one. You can do it on a ball or different variations.

One thing to check on your ball, which I learned from a trainer a few weeks ago is to make sure you have the right size. When you sit on it, your legs should be bent 90 degrees. One good abs workout with it is to lie on your back with that between your feet. Lift slowly towards the ceiling. It works the abs and the inner thighs. I hope all this isn't overwhelming!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 11:28am
Oh yes I do the lat pull down too. Forgot that one. The only ab work I am planning to do is on the ball. There seems to be a lot of different exercises you can do on that thing! :) I also heard the 90 degree thing about the ball. Mine fits me well! Thanks for the tips. I am not overwhelmed YET! LOL ~N

~shesminetoo

Mom to 3yr old *E* and stepmom to 10 yr old *M*

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 12:04pm
Jean: I think single arm rows are for your back, not shoulders.

shesmine: I think your workout routine is good so far, and I also think it's wonderful you are so motivated to work out. However, starting out with dumbbells I would highly recommend you seek the advice of a trainer to get *proper* form. Exercises such as these require proper positioning of your body; if you're seated or standing incorrectly, you could really do harm to your joints or muscles. This is especially true for incline presses and pullovers. Get someone to show you proper form, in order to avoid injury and to make the exercises much more effective - the last thing you want to do is kill a joint! Good luck with everything.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 12:24pm
Oh, you're right, sorry. I was thinking upright rows for some reason. I agree about making sure you have correct form. If you can't see a trainer, it might also help to use nautilus or other lifting machines that kind of force correct form. Anyway, it is great that you're so enthusiastic starting out, N!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 1:31pm
I agree about the trainer. Your motivation is refreshing and your desire obvious, however being movitated and excited is no substitute for being informed. I would engage the help of a trainer for a couple of sessions to make sure you are doing things correctly. I have worked out in the past and never had any problems, but when I went back to it this time I got a trainer and found out that form is not always as obvious as it appears and a good trainer will make sure you aren't going to hurt yourself needlessly.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 8:09am
Hi, it's so great that you're getting into working out and taking the time to educate yourself before you get started! I am responding late so other people have probably covered most of this, but here I go anyway (hold on a sec while I pull up my soapbox):

The major muscle groups are basically legs, back, chest, abs, shoulders, arms. These break down into sub-groups (like quadricep, hamstrings, and calves for legs, biceps/triceps for arms). For a normal weight training workout, you would choose a bunch of different exercises designed to work all of these groups. Depending on your goals, you might focus more on one muscle group than another, but you would usually try to work all the major groups to avoid strength imbalances (e.g. you wouldn't want to overdevelop your chest but neglect your back, because that can pull your shoulder joints out of line and create other problems).

A lot of exercises work more than one muscle, especially compound exercises with free weights, which recruit more stabilizing muscles than machines do. So even though you're really targeting your chest muscles when you do a bench press, you're also using your shoulders and your triceps to push the weight up, as well as your biceps to keep the weight steady. Since exercises targeting the "bigger" muscles (quads, hamstrings, glutes, back, chest) also work some of the smaller muscles (shoulders, biceps, triceps, calves), you would normally want to work your bigger muscles first. That way you get all of the muscles at their freshest for the big lifts, and you don't run the risk of tiring out the smaller msucles on isolation work first, which could lead to injury. In other words, if you did a whole bunch of triceps extensions and kickbacks and other great moves and REALLY tired out your triceps, you would have a lot more trouble with the bench press. The exception to this is usually the abs and lower back -- they are relatively big muscles, but they help with EVERYTHING and you don't want to tire them out and risk hurting yourself.

Different people have different philosophies about working smaller muscles -- how often, how hard, how many different exercises. It all would depend on your goals, and how your body responds to different routines. I figure that as long as I see consistent improvement and don't get stalled, I don't need to work my smaller muscles quite as hard. On my chest/shoulders/triceps days, I do push-ups, bench press, front and lateral shoulder raises (b/c of rotator cuff trouble), and a triceps exercise. As long as I keep getting stronger in my triceps, I don't worry about doing more than one type of exercise for them. However, the day will probably come when that doesn't really work for me anymore and I have to change my routine around to something more gymgirl-esque (though it's hard to imagine EVER getting to the point where I could press 30 lb DBs!!).

In answer to your question about which muscle groups you are working:

Squats = mainly quadriceps and glutes, hamstrings and calves less so, also lower back.

Deadlifts = similar, more emphasis on glutes, hamstrings and lower back.

Dumbbell incline presses = chest (more top of pecs) and shoulders

Single arm rows = back

Pullovers on a bench = I think chest, shoulders, triceps but I'm not really sure because I haven't done them

One arm side lateral raises = shoulders

Dumbbell concentration curls = biceps

Triceps kickbacks = triceps

Single leg calf raises = calves

leg extensions = quadriceps

leg curls = hamstrings

That's DEFINITELY a total body workout. If you actually do squats and deadlifts each time you work out (PLEASE get someone to check your form!!) then you might not want to bother with leg extensions and leg curls. You're also working your shoulders pretty hard, might want to switch to flat presses rather than incline presses to work the upper and lower chest and give the shoulders a bit of a break. I would also add another back exercises for the lats, such as a pulldown or assisted pull ups. But these are just small suggestions and since I'm not a certified trainer, I probably should butt out! Sorry. I just LOVE talking about this stuff, and I take it out on all of you because no one in my regular life is interested!

Be very careful on those big lifts, add weight slowly only after you've mastered form, and take notes on how you're doing. Have fun!

~ Vanessa