Xerball and Ramping?

iVillage Member
Xerball and Ramping?
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 4:11pm
Has anyone heard of these classes? My Y is training instructors for these new classes which will be added to the schedule but I have never heard of them before? It looks like Xerball is done with a medicine ball and I have no idea what ramping is. Has anyone tried these classes? We also have a new class on the schedule for this month called "Step Intensity." It's rated X (extreme), so you know I have to try it.

I'm amazed at the person who is able to schedule so many classes on one sheet. I don't know how she does it! Luckily, we have several aerobics rooms and 2 yoga/pilates studios. There seems to be enough space. Also, I read that they have new "equipment" in the pilates studio that includes some sort of chair and other stuff. I don't do pilates or yoga so my knowledge of the type of equipment that would be used in those classes is limited. I peaked into the pilates studio and I have to tell you the first thing that came to my mind was S&M. They actually give personal one-on-one training in there. The yoga studio is pretty basic but I'm still apprehensive about trying that class.

I'm also amazed at how instructors are able to cue classes. How does that work? Do they practice saying the routine aloud to music? Do they just memorize the routine and can cue it to any music? I watched my Extreme Step instructor practicing a few minutes before class and she seems to do it effortlessly. Of course, she's been doing it for 15 years but it still amazes me.

Just rambling away. Sorry.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 7:28am
LOL at your impression of Pilates machines... they definitely look like torture devices to me.

I've never heard of either class but they sound really fun and intriguing. Your Y has SO many good classes! After being on this board for a few months now, I am really eager to try classes the next time I belong to a gym that offers them. There are so many more out there than I ever used to do back in my Bally's days in the early 90s.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 7:39am
No surprise I haven't heard of them since I've been in my cocoon of a gym the past four years. I have to try out some gyms, but I'm sure there won't be as many classes. If you do get them, let us know what they're like!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 2:45pm
Ramping is another one of those gizmos that Reebok (I think) invented. It's like a step with an incline, and therefore works more of your legs than regular step.

My information may be incorrect because I just read this in a little blurb recently in a fitness magazine.

My gym is stuck in the early 90's in terms of classes. But I love them anyways.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 2:57pm
Ramping sounds like fun! Step on an incline... I'll definitely have to try that one when it makes it on to the schedule.
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 5:32pm
I found this story about Ramping:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,85294,00.html