iVillage Member
Lurker here....
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 9:56pm
and would like to know what type of ab exercises (besides cruches) some of

you guys are doing. Thanks!
iVillage Member
In reply to: gymhappy
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 3:19am
I get bored doing ab work, so I try to mix it up. When I'm home, I do a Pilates mat routine off a DVD, which has a lot of different ab work. I also do crunches on the swiss ball and other moves (like holding it between your feet and passing it back and forth between hands and feet while doing situps with your body fully extended... does that make sense?).

When I'm at the gym I do push-ups, which I really feel in my abs, and I do other plank pose type things. I do regular crunches sometimes. I also am a stickler for really contracting my abs when I do weight work and, as I go heavier with weights, I find that I really feel my abs getting stronger. For obliques, I do side bends on the back extension machine.

All that said and done, I really hate working my abs. With the exception of Pilates, I never really push myself when I'm doing abs. And I don't do Pilates enough! Now you've inspired me. :)

HTH,

Vanessa

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 7:49am
Hi! Welcome, glad you decided to join us. I just started doing crunches and oblique crunches on the ball. I also do the bicycle, the plank around the world (where you start with a traditional plank, move to one on the right arm, one where your back is to the ground, then one on your left arm. When I don't do crunches on the ball, I do the one with your legs hanging. If you're looking for a good routine, the Weights for Women message board has a web site that has a bootcamp for abs which sounds really tough. I agree with Vanessa about the push ups, too. When we were doing the push up count here, I did them on a ball and my abs felt really tight then. I haven't done them recently because I hurt my hands, but hope to be back to them soon.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 1:01pm
Hi, welcome to the board. The others are much better about doing their ab work than I am. I do most of my ab work with the ball; crunches, planks and reverse crunches (with the ball held between knees, under butt or between feet depending on how tight they already feel going into it). I do some grappling moves that my hubby taught me now and then to supplement and challenge my body, but they are done with a partner (hubby). If you do any mixed martial arts or know anyone that does there are tons of core strength drills and exercises that you can pull out and use to supplement or change up your workouts. I have to or I go nuts.

So, as I said, I'm not much help with any plan. I just wanted to jump in and say hi.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 7:52pm
Hey Vanessa! I do a Pilates class once a week and do feel like I get a good ab workout from it. Thanks for reminding me of the swiss ball, I have done ab work with it one time. I guess I should incorporate that a little more in my routine...I also have done the passing it back and forth one (that's really hard)! Something I have to admit that I don't do is really contract my abs while weight training. I definitely will try doing that! Thanks so much for your response, you've definitely given me some ideas!

Doriana

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 8:00pm
Hi...thanks for the reply, I've never done the plank around the world! That sounds like a good one! I also like the crunches on the ball that you mentioned....Thanks again! I'm loving this board!!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 8:07pm
Hi and thanks for the reply! I've always wanted to do martial arts, it seems like a really good workout! I do a really great kickboxing class once a week at the gym that involves "some" martial arts moves, but that's about it!

Doriana