Lower Abs

iVillage Member
Lower Abs
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 9:42am
Hey Guys,

Any advice for how to get rid of lower ab bulge??? I run and lift and do ab work and still cant get a solid tummy...

any help.?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: abslout
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 10:04am
The only way to get rid of a bulge is to reduce the fat there. Keep in mind, though, that some women just genetically have fat there and the only way it can be reduced is surgery (not that I'm advocating it). The other thing to remember is that you're looking at it from above so it looks bigger from your angle. To reduce fat, you need to take in fewer calories than you burn off. You can tone the area by doing abs. There is a thread below on different ab workouts. There really is no "lower" abs, but it's one long muscle. There are exercises that target different parts of it, though, like lower body crunches. Hope that helps!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 10:06am
Hi & welcome to the board!

You might want to evaluate your diet, take a look at what you're eating & how much. At the end of the day, losing body fat is all about calories in vs. calories out. Try keeping a food journal and using a site like www.fitday.com to track the calories you're consuming.

As for exercise, the running and weights and ab work you're doing all sound great. If you are really serious about dropping more body fat (which can be tough), you might want to step up the intensity or frequency of your cardio. As you know, you can't spot reduce, so if you want to lose fat in your stomach, you have to lose it everywhere.

Good luck, hope this helps, and glad you've joined us!

~ Vanessa

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 10:13am
Thanks so much...You all have really helped. I'm a total fitness buff..maybe i just need to step up my cardio a little. Do you think that eating simple vs. complex carbs would make a difference?

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 10:19am
Some simple carbs are okay, like fruit but try to avoid ones like processed sugar and flour. When choosing grains, go with the least processed, like whole wheat flour, brown rice, etc. In general, I go for the least processed in everything. The past few months, I've added more healthy proteins to my diet, egg whites, chicken breast, tofu, seafood, some nuts. I find it keeps me full longer. I read recently that protein and fiber is a good way to maintain blood sugar levels which might help. Good luck!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 10:26am
I'm not one to talk on the eating thing... I do not practice what I preach (but I'm working on it!). Check out the Healthy Eating Expert board on ivillage, though, I lurk there and have learned a lot.

In general, you should eat as "clean" as possible -- fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins, *good* fats (like olive oil, nuts), and whole grains. Try to cut out overly processed foods, refined starches, foods high in added sugar, and trans-fats. Be careful about "low-fat" foods -- they tend to have added sugar and are high in calories. Most people find it easier to eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day to minimize cravings. A lot of people who have cut sugar and simple carbs out of their diets say that they feel 100% better.

The good thing about sites like fitday is that you can track all sorts of things -- protein/carb/fat mix, nutrients, etc. -- in addition to just calories. When it comes to changing your diet, you should start slowly (incorporate one change at a time), be sure to keep a journal of what you eat and how you feel, be flexible and forgiving of yourself if you have trouble at first, and don't make any changes that you aren't prepared to live with for the rest of your life.

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 2:41pm
One of the instructors at my gym says this and I don't know if it is a myth - but she says you must suck in your abs while working them or else you will train your ab muscles to stick out.

Although I think when you suck them in while doing cardio and stuff it feels a lot better.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 4:59pm
I've heard that too, but find it hard to believe--how can you suck in your abs while you're trying to contract them? Then aren't they fighting each other to contract lengthwise and also contract laterally/around? I think that I've heard that's bunk... ;) Nothing against your instructor, there's a lot of different theories floating around depending on when people learned stuff! I'd absolutely agree, though, that it will help to hold your abs in while you're in an upright position, say when you're doing cardio or sitting in an office chair. Just as an experiment, try to do a crunch and hold your abs in at the same time--it doesn't work as well for either one, does it?

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 5:30pm
I find it easy to hold in my abs tightly while crunching. It's just the "it'll train them to pop out" thing that sounds like crap to me.
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 6:53pm
I've heard that and I've heard that it's a myth, too. I go with the myth, too. It's like that expression about your face freezing that way.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-12-2003 - 12:40pm
Myth, debunked a few months ago in a "work out myths" article in one of the major magazines (think M & F hers, but since I read them all it could have been any.) There is a legitimate reason to pull them in at the top of the exercise though. When you do so you've flexed the muscle, performed what is known as a "peak contraction" which will increase the effectiveness of your rep and ultimately help you get where you are going faster. So, while they recommend that you do it isn't because you will have bulging abs if you don't!

Here is a link to training tips for abs on the M & F site. There are several links in a box to the right that you can click on for more info. http://www.muscleandfitness.com/mf/weider/091702/general_training.html

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

Pages