Injured, again

iVillage Member
Injured, again
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 1:23pm
I've been having twinges on that left knee for about a month off and on. They had been clearing up when I stopped whatever I was doing and stretched out. Not so yesterday. I was on the epi when it started (I was having a rather challenging and great workout to that point). That burning, pinching agony on the outside of the knee just above it. I stopped and stretched and it still hurt. I then noticed the huge lump that was growing over the site. I iced it for 30 minutes in the locker room and grabbed an instant ice pack for the car ride home (didn't know my gym keeps boxes of them on hand for situations like this, gotta love them). The stairs were excrutiating when I got home (three story townhouse). Based on that and the swelling I called the doctor immediately, I think I learned my lesson last time. I got right in. He said it is tendonitis, actually something called ITBS (that IT band again). I'm to take it easy, do only what doesn't hurt, and start physical therapy next week. But, he was making jokes that his patients can be divided into two groups. One group shows up with colds and viruses about once a month demanding antibiotics which won't help and can only be described as lazy couch potatos. The other camp shows up once a year with some form of sports injury and yells at him that they can't possible take 6 weeks off to heal. He welcomed me to the "good" camp. It was a cool moment, since I used to be in the couch potato group.

So, bike only as far as cardio machines for six weeks. No squats, lunges or leg extensions until the physical therapist clears me. I can do this.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
In reply to: kiervin
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 1:41pm
Sorry to hear about your injury, but it may be the rest that your body needs. Take it easy and don't worry about backsliding. You've been working long enough that 6 weeks off won't put you too far behind. Good move getting to the doctor's office. I should probably follow your lead... Happy Healing~
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 4:45pm
Oh K, that stinks! But don't kid yourself into thinking that the bike is an "easy" cardio machine... ;) I'm kidding of course--if you want, and if your PT clears it, you can increase the intensity and rpm's on the bike (assuming it's a LifeCycle type) so much that it's actually hard! I'm doing level 14 on the LifeCycle at the gym, on a hill program, rpm's 70-105 and I'm burning well over 400 calories in 45 minutes and getting sore from it, just in an attempt to not lose the strength I got from riding. But I wouldn't do that much until your knee feels better. IT band injuries are pretty common, from what I understand, but I've never had one.

Take care of yourself, it could be a short six weeks! Just don't hurt yourself again right when those six weeks are up--I did that in '01, torn rotator directly into sprained ankle directly into compressed disk, it was really hard to train!lol...

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 6:31pm
Oh no! I hope you start feeling better, but think of it this way--in 6 weeks, your kids will be back in school and you'll be able to get back to the gym in full force. Hey, at least you're in the good camp from the doctor!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 6:55pm
Nope, I don't think that the bike is a cake walk at all. I've actually FINALLY broken my weight loss plateau through the bike over the past couple of weeks (broke that barrier weight I couldn't get under for the past two months on Wednesday, of course I gained half a pound back so I'm over it again, but I KNOW I can do it now and that is all I needed to get recharged). All cardio equipment can be challenging, it is just how hard you work. The reason for the bike is that the motion won't aggrevate the area because there is no weight stress on the area while using it. I'm doing the random program for 30 minutes at level 10 and doing a farteking (hope that is spelled right) cycle on top of it. I go at about 85 rpms in the "rest cycle" and 105+ for the elevated portion. 3 minutes warm-up, 10 minutes of 30/30 into 60/30 until the 27 minute mark then all out to "failure" (I consider it failure when I fall under 90 rpms) which is usually about 10 seconds before the end of the cycle. Burning just under 300 calories a session. But, it has done tremendous things for my cardio endurance and has kept my body in a state that leaves me with an elevated heart rate for a longer period after the workout. Because of the random setting I'm getting alternating intensities on top of the enhanced cardio challenge I'm giving myself. I'm seeing a HUGE difference in my overall fitness. I've even asked hubby to get me a bike for at home, though I've NEVER been a fan of them before now. So, I can be sidelined and still get a good work out. But, my bum gets sore from the bike so anything over about 30 minutes a session makes me want to cry, that is my only complaint.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been very careful because of my history of overuse injuries; previous IT band issues, tendonitis in my achilles (that one was miserable), the cysts on my foot that the doctor said were due to running, and the pulled lower back muscles. I was somewhat surprised to get this one given how cautious I've been about resting and stretching (two things I have problems forcing myself to do most of the time). I can handle being sidelined for something like this better than I can for stupid injuries like the car accident or when the dog knocked my feet from under me, those were miserable because I felt so out of control, on this one I know what caused it, how to fix and how to prevent it happening again:)

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2003 - 8:19am
Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear that! I can totally relate to the frustration of knee problems that prevent you from doing what you REALLY want to be doing. I can attest to the fact that cycling feels great for sore knees and you can still get a good cardio workout that way.

Good luck and take care of yourself.