Rear Delts vs Lats

iVillage Member
Rear Delts vs Lats
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 4:44pm
What's the difference between rear delts and lats? What muscles do the following exercises work:

Upright Rows

Lateral Raises (I guess I know this one)

Flys

Dead Rows

Lat Pull Down (I can guess this one too)

Are the lats more in the back and the rear delts behind the shoulders?

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 4:49pm
That's my understanding of physiology--the lats are connected nearer to your shoulder blade and down by your bra strap and the rear delts are right in back of the shoulder joint. Swimmers have big lats, they make chests look wider, rear delts make shoulders look meatier. For me upright rows work the front delts and traps (shoulder to neck), I'm not sure what you mean by dead rows (bent over for rhomboids/upper back and rear delts?), for me flyes are front delt and pecs and back flyes are rhomboids, but I think a lot of that has to do with the exact way that you lift and where your focus goes. I'm not terribly educated on lifts, but I know what I do and what it works even if I don't know what to call it! ;)

Judie

Edited 7/11/2003 4:51:28 PM ET by judie_rae

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 6:42pm
I'm the same way with terminology! I call exercises the wrong thing all the time and I usually end up describing it. Maybe Vanessa can hop in w/ her muscle site. I thought the lats were the triangular ones down the back and the rear delts near the top, but I'm always calling muscles the wrong thing, too. I know how to do an exercise and what part if works, if I don't know what any of it's called! We need jen or soleil back!

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2003 - 8:30am
LOL... here I am, hopping in with my muscle site! But first, a question -- how do you get TWO icons by your name?

These are the lats, aka latissimus dorsi:

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/LatissimusDorsi.html

They are very big muscles in the back, worked most through pull-up and pull-down exercises.

These are the posterior (rear) deltoids:

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/DeltoidPosterior.html

They are one of three smaller muscles making up the main shoulder muscles (deltoids). They are worked mainly through back flyes and rear raises (e.g. seated or lying).

These are the lateral deltoids, which I think sometimes get mixed up with the latissimus dorsi:

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/DeltoidLateral.html

They are the main muscles being worked through upright rows and lateral raises.

Not sure what dead rows are -- are they bent over rows with a barbell? If so, they are working the whole back (lats and rhomboids) and the posterior delts to an extent.

Hope that helps!

~ Vanessa

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2003 - 1:22pm
Oh, that is the BEST site! Nice charts and explanations. You've made my day!

Thanks.

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2003 - 9:23pm
Thanks, Vanessa! I knew you'd have the right diagrams. It helps a lot more to see it than to try to read a description. That is a great site.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-14-2003 - 1:21pm
I understand now. Great site!