Yesterday I felt I might pass out...

iVillage Member
Yesterday I felt I might pass out...
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 6:42pm
I had eaten well, in fact I am working on eating every 3-4 hours, which is a challenge for me. And now I feel hungry all the time, where normally I never feel hungry. I was carrying water with me and I was drinking. And I had been drinking well all day.

So I was at the gym, and they had just got in some elliptical machines. I had used one before at another gym, so I figured I would give it a try. I did feel some minor ouches in my chest, while using it. But that's normal for me and I have every test possible for heart problems and they never found anything.

I had the machine set at random, level six, which is what I have been using for a while now on the bike. But just before I hit 70% done, I started to feel like I was going to pass out. So I stopped immediately, and walked the circuit track slowly trying to cool down. Stopping in front of the fan, and resting when I felt I need to. I probably should have told someone, but I didn't want to look foolish. Like I wouldn't have looked foolish if I had passed out and they had to pick me up from the gym floor!! {smile}

Anyhow, I drove home, which I probably shouldn't have, had a shower and another drink of water before I felt better. I just watch TV for the rest of the evening.

But now I worried. Should I go back to the gym tonight? I've been sitting here debating with myself.

~*~ Catherine

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 7:03pm
Do you have low blood pressure? Mine is really low (90/60 would be high for me) and that happens on ocassion to me. I've had to put my head down low until it went away. It doesn't happen often, maybe a half dozen times in the past 16-some years.

On being hungry, are you eating some protein, fiber and a little healthy fat each time? Things like pb on an apple or veggies and hummus. I find that keeps me full longer. Did they test your blood sugar? Those could be symptoms of diabetes, too. It's asking your doctor first, because of all the other symptoms (okay everyone, laugh at me for being a hypocrit about seeing doctors. I'm better when it comes to diseases, not injuries).

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 7:33pm
Yes, I do have low blood pressure. I didn't think about that. I tend to hover around 90/60 but have dropped as low at 60/40 while in hospital for heart tests.

They have tested me for diabetes, but I'm fine, though I did have low sugar when admitted to hospital one time - 2.3. I also tend to have low potassium, usually they just give me pills but once I had to stay overnight for IV treatment. And a low heart rate, even before I started working out - 52.

I tend to avoid drs, they usually are either telling me off for not coming in sooner, or telling me it's all in my head! {smile}

For protein, I eat very little meat, but I had cashew butter on 7-grain bakery bread for breakfast and two slices of mozzarella cheese, a slice of shaved ham on a cheese bun for lunch, and 2 hard-boiled eggs and a slice of cheddar cheese in a salad for dinner. I also indulged in 2 cups of hot chocolate, and it say 3.5g of protein per cup.

For fat, I used calorie-reduced Becel margarine, and Light Done Right Kraft salad dressing. The eggs are Omega-3. None of this is new to me, I have been eating like this for months.

I'm still having a bit of that woosy feeling today, even though I am just sitting in front of the computer most of the time, so I guess I will skip the gym tonight. I hope it goes away, along with this constant feeling of hunger. It's annoying! {smile}

~*~ Catherine

P.S. Just in case anyone wonders, it is not possible that I could be pregnant, short of the second coming!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-12-2003 - 9:29am
LOL when I read your description, I thought pregnancy, too. Maybe it's a hormonal thing? I also get dizzy sometimes when I have water in my ear from swimming. It's the combination of wax and water (eww, that doesn't sound appetizing) that messes up the balance in my ear. There are so many causes of dizziness that it might be good to check with a doctor esp. if it keeps up. Hope you're feeling better!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-12-2003 - 1:03pm
I'm going to give my standard answer here. Even if you THINK you know what it is, it doesn't hurt to have the doctor look you over. It could be a million other things you haven't thought of and it is better to be safe than sorry.

I've had the chest pain issue too, btw. They've checked me, they ended up running a full battery of tests because the day mine showed up I also showed up with a severe heart murmur that I had never had before. Nothing, zilch, nada. It's irritating. I make jokes all the time that the day I DO have a heartattack I'm going to die because I won't think anything of having chest and arm pains and won't ask for help. You have my sympathy:)

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-12-2003 - 2:05pm
Thanks - I feel better today. And I feel the same as you! One day I will really have a heart attack and die, because I won't believe it is real.

~*~ Catherine