"No cheat" Stairmasters

iVillage Member
"No cheat" Stairmasters
Sat, 07-12-2003 - 11:33am
The rec center has new stairmasters. Instead of the rails along the side, there is a U shaped handle in the front so you can't rest on them. There were three of the new ones which were empty, except for me, and there were 3 of the old ones which were filled. I wonder if people know it's easier to rest on the rails. They don't have the precor crosstrainer, but something similar by Reebok. I'm going to give it a try next time. It feels great to work out again!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-12-2003 - 1:06pm
Our gym is switching to the no-cheats. I see people all the time on the old ones bracing themselves so they aren't really working and it makes me laugh. There are two new styles that we've gotten in, one with the U and one that has handles placed where the stationary ones on the epi are. I still prever the rotating stairmaster to all of them, it is more natural. Of course, none of that for me for a bit:(

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2003 - 7:24am
What is the rotating stairmaster? I feel like I've been in a cave the past few years w/ how outdated my gym was. I didn't know the stairmaster went to level 20! It used to be only 12 or so. I will confess that years ago I used to rest my arms on the rails. I didn't know better and I thought it was great that I could be on the highest level for an hour. I will say it was a great workout that way, too, though not as effective as what I do now. Even now, if I rest on my arms and go on high, it's all I can do to stay up with it and I couldn't get near an hour!