women and birth control

iVillage Member
women and birth control
Sun, 07-13-2003 - 7:53pm
Hello every one..

I am new to this board..

I was hoping that someone out there might give me "clue" to one of my clients proublems ( I am a personal trainer and I teach aerobics for World gym)

you see she went off of birth control about 2 months ago and she has gained weight and has got these hot flashes her doctor says this is normal?!? I can see it in a way (the body tring to get back into blance
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2003 - 9:20pm
Hi! Welcome to the board. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe judie here can help. Judie, are you around?

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-14-2003 - 9:54am
I'm here! Yes, that can be normal for some women going off birth control. As far as the hot flashes go, it's possible that her body isn't ovulating yet, which means she's not getting estrogen from either the pill or her body's natural processes, similar to what happens as women start getting into perimenopause. If she's not having periods, she's not ovulating, and ovulating is the means by which we get most of our hormone production.

The weight gain is more complicated, but some women lose weight when they go on the plll and gain it back when they go off, just as some women gain and lose the other way. The hormones in the pill affect a lot of things, sometimes insulin sensitivity and appetite, sometimes how water is retained in the body, and all these things can affect weight.

Just as they tell us to allow 2-4 months for our bodies to adjust to being on the pill, we need to allow 2-4 months for our bodies to adjust to being off the pill as well. As long as her doctor is in the loop, there shouldn't be a reason to worry, but she may need to allow herself some latitude while she's making this transition.

Good luck!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-14-2003 - 1:55pm
Thanks, judie! People on this board are such a wealth of knowledge. I can probably come here w/ most questions and get a good answer from someone.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 3:17am
Thanks tons...I was reading about all you had to say.. From the Mayo- health book and you told me everything that I just read which is great. I'll let her know that her Doctor is not "NUTS" (tee-hee) Once again thanks so much

Unitl later have a Health and fit day

glamgirl2u