Young Woman Seeking General Diet Advice

iVillage Member
Young Woman Seeking General Diet Advice
Fri, 03-21-2008 - 3:45pm

I 17 years old, 5'10 with a small frame, and I weigh 125 pounds. Am I a good/ideal weight to maintain health? Underweight? (I don't think overweight).

I want to stay thin, yet I absolutely love to eat. (gee, who doesn't?) My two favorite foods in the world are chocolate and tortilla chips with salsa. I'm considering starting a diet where I diet religiously for one whole week and then eat basically whatever I want for dinner. (It will be a whole bag of tortilla chips with a whole jar of salsa, and then eat a whole swiss milk chocolate bar from Trader Joes.) The thing is I used to binge kind of regularly (a whole bag of tortilla chips a night sometimes) and I figure that if I plan binges into my diet maybe it won't affect my weight negatively.

I exercise lightly pretty much every day (Biking, Tennis, and Some Weight Machines at my Gym) and I eat healthfully-fish,flaxseed,vegetables, and fruits. These are my only two binging foods really. I am going to college this upcoming Fall and I've heard about the freshman 15, which really worries me.

And general advice on what I should and shouldn't be doing?

Community Leader
Fri, 03-21-2008 - 4:15pm

I think you try to train yourself to NOT binge.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-21-2008 - 4:21pm

You are probably a little bit underweight for your height, but I predict in the next few years your body will change a lot.

I will not beat around the bush. Your diet plan is a BAD idea. Allow yourself a SMALL amount of chips and/or chocolate on a regular basis. Eating a large amount of any food in an uncontrolled manner in a short period of time is disordered eating.

I would suggest you work on maintaining your healthy habits and as I said, learn to eat less healthy foods in moderation. That is a healthy lifestyle mentality, rather than a diet mentality. At college you will see people losing weight in ways that are dangerous (starving themselves, exercising for excess amounts of time, diet pills/supplements). Education is key.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-21-2008 - 5:11pm

Hi Megan--you've already gotten some really good advice.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-22-2008 - 7:24am

Jean, thank you SO much for posting that right now.

L Signature

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-22-2008 - 11:14am
That's one of my favorite articles. I

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-24-2008 - 11:22am

I normally lurk on this board but your post struck a chord with me so I'm saying something. I could have written your post 4 years ago. I did EXACTLY what you are talking about doing....

It is a dangerous path to head down. I binge ate my first two years of college and while I lost/maintained weight I got pretty sick. I wasn't consuming enough calories and I was working out heavily... finally after a few blackouts and dropping grades I woke up to what I was doing.

College is stressful enough without focusing on food and the freshman 15 is not unavoidable. Freshman weight gain is caused by a variety of factors....
1) You spend more time sitting in a classroom or library studying than you did when you were in high school or younger.
- This one is a relatively easy fix. Study at the gym. Grab your book or your notes and hop on a bike or treadmill and read while you exercise. A bike is your best bet since running on a treadmill or using an elliptical bounces you around a lot.

2) Increased consumption of high fat/high calorie food. It's amazing how much pizza or chinese you can consume while studying at 2am.
- OK, this one can be a little harder. Dining halls do offer healthy choices, you just have to look a little to find them, I was a big fan of the salad bar and then half a burger or some spaghetti. With late night study sessions... keep healthy snacks on hand like baby carrots or celery and low fat dip or peanut butter. Study time could also be when you eat your chips and salsa or your chocolate bar. Drink a lot of water too.... it's amazing how a full bladder and getting up frequently to pee can keep you awake.

3) Increased consumption of alcohol.
- Alright... this is a bad one. Since you will be 17 or 18 when you go to college you will be too young to drink so this one should not apply now. BUT you will eventually be 21 ( I won't even get into underage drinking ) and when you go to a party or out to a club/bar PACE YOURSELF. Drink water in between alcoholic drinks, limit yourself to one drink for the night or just hit the dance floor the entire time you're there. The last one is great because you'll be burning calories instead of consuming them.

Now... I just graduated college in 2007 so the lifestyle is pretty fresh in my mind. If you have any questions or hang-ups you can email me through my profile.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-24-2008 - 12:40pm
Hi Katie--glad you decided to de-lurke.