Number on scale not dropping?

iVillage Member
Number on scale not dropping?
Fri, 04-18-2008 - 9:04pm

Hi,
I have finally gotten bitten by the workout bug during my FINAL (wohoo) semester of college. I have been working out with a trainer 4x a week for 3 months. I see a change, mainly toning and more definition in my curves, but my weight has not dropped. I don't understand this. I know my diet needs some work, but I have been really working out.
In the morning, I have a protein drink & then work out for 1 hour and I usually end up drinking 2 liters of water by the end of the day. I do drink Diet Coke, some days too much, but I have limited my alcohol and stopped eating bread. I quit fast food a year ago.

What is going on? I'm not getting discouraged, but I am wondering where I am going wrong. I am set on becoming certified in personal training after I graduate, but I don't feel like I'm quite in shape enough to have clients. I am a curvy gal with a large bust, but I cannot seem to get this flab off of my stomach. I have always had it since high school. Since coming to college, it has gotten worse. It's concentrated right smack in the middle. My mom is worried about how it will effect me when I decide to have children. I am too. Not to make myself sound obese, I'm just frustrated with this stomach. I'm 5'5 weighing 140. I did lose 12 lbs by doing Weight Watchers, but I want to get down some more. I'm a petite girl, and I don't want to gain that weight back.

By the way: Did anyone see Oprah a few days ago. Mariah Carey was on and they were discussing her new diet..this trainer said not to mix proteins with carbs. I have never heard of that..Anything to that??? Why would that be bad??

Thank you and I look forward to your replies.
Happy Weekend!

Sarah

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2008 - 9:20pm

I didn't change my diet for a whole year after I started working out and guess how much weight loss I saw on the scale?

ZERO. Nothing, nada, zilch.

It has been said that diet is at least 80% of the battle in weight loss. Start eating less/minimally processed foods and cut out the sugar (if you currently are) and add more vegetables, whole grains, lean meats.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Community Leader
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 9:11am

From my personal experience, it seems that there are two factors to weight loss - diet and exercise.

Diet - it is sad, but my body just doesn't need many calories.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 12:49pm

I have heard the not combining carbs and proteins, and then again, I've heard exactly the opposite.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 2:15pm

Hi! You've gotten some great advice already but there are some good points that your post brings up.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 3:19pm
thank you! How do I figure out how many calories my body really needs?
Community Leader
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 8:32am

You might start with identifying how many calories you are consuming currently, and then, cut it back.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2008 - 5:34pm
Another very useful site for tracking both exercise and food is The Daily Plate.