strength training and ab work?

iVillage Member
strength training and ab work?
Fri, 04-25-2008 - 1:30am

I hope I ask this question right so you understand what I am asking...

I am slowly getting active again. I know my lifestyle and body needs improvement. I am 5'5" and about 180 lbs. I try to do cardio at least three, maybe four times a week. I've been doing this for a couple months now and am slowing increasing that (I have somewhat sensitive knees, but swimming and biking are not options). I have been on/off doing pilates and weight lifting with hand weights. I am trying to set a schedule/routine.

I'm coming to my question... I promise... be patient with me... I notice that when many people do strength training, the core gets included... and with strength training you are supposed to give your body 48 hours to recover before doing it again? So Pilates is kind of strength training? Some people say that for best results pilates needs to be done daily? But what about the 48 hour thing? What do you do? Also, a couple years back, I saw a physical therapist about my knees, and was given some knee exercises to do. I became pregnant shortly after and kinda stopped (I know, I could have kept doing them, my bad). So I want to start doing those again so my knees will be stronger and I can easily do more cardio... But I remember the physical therapist telling me to do them daily... BUT what about the 48 hour thing?

TIA for any comments and insights you can share.
-mary-

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2008 - 7:38am

Hi Mary! Sounds like you know what you're doing and are doing great.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2008 - 9:27pm
Thanks so much for your response. It really helped me. I think I will try doing core work more often and see how it goes. I also will get started on those knee exercises... Hopefully I will work up my endurance and my knees won't get sore so easily, then I can run longer and more often. Thanks again!
-mary-
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2008 - 4:51pm
Let us know how it goes!