Getting Discouraged...Need Encouragment!

iVillage Member
Getting Discouraged...Need Encouragment!
Thu, 09-25-2008 - 1:16pm

Hello All!
I know all good things come to those who "weight" (pun intended) but I have been exercising 4-5 times a week for 3 weeks now, doing both cardio and weights plus I have cut way down on junk food, I don't have any at home...occasionally I will have something if I buy it while I'm not home, but very rarely. Point being, its been 3 weeks and no results. The scale at the gym is the balance type, so I can see that I haven't lost a single ounce! I know it will take time, but in the past I have had this problem of working out and eating healthy and still not getting results. I'm very frustrated and I know that if I keep at it, I should see results eventually...however it's very discouraging and I'm worried that like last time, I won't see results :S

Any ideas whats up, when I might see some results or advice to keep me feeling less frustrated or discouraged??

Thnx :)

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-25-2008 - 2:17pm

Hi!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-25-2008 - 4:28pm

Heyy!

Thanks for your reply. As for what I eat, I'll write what I ate yesterday as an example:

Breakfast was fruit and cottage cheese.

Lunch was turkey sandwich (mustard, turkey, cheese, lettuce and very little mayo), about a cup of grapes, and 6 crackers and cheese (the Breton low fat type crackers).

In the afternoon I had a rice crispy square (90 cals, 3.5 g fat)

Dinner was a veggie dog with ketchup, mustard, peppers and onions. As well as a small frozen yogurt (rasp.-strawberry) from yogen fruz (I think that's what the franchise is called).

After dinner/ after workout snack was a banana with peanut butter (one of my faves!)

Throughout the day I usually drink water, coffee/tea (with milk and sugar), diet coke and occasionally milk (1%).

So I guess that's typically the type of food I like to eat, although I just discovered a love of cottage cheese this week...so I'm going to have to buy some!!!

As for my workout I do 35 min. of cardio on the elliptical every time I workout. The machine says I burn around 375-400 calories every time (although I know these are not going to be very accurate. it'll give you an idea of how hard I work out).

There is a weight machine circuit so I will use those every time. And a few times a week I will do some ab exercises (although I know it is important to lose "fat" around the abdominals before you see any real results from the ab exercises).

The workout usually lasts me about 1 hour or 1 hr and 15 min. And I

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-25-2008 - 6:16pm
I should also mention that I am a 20 year old female, 5'4 and 150 pounds. So I'm considered in the "overweight" category according to my BMI. In my first year at university I lost weight very easily without any conscious effort at all. I was around 130-135 pounds, by just eating healthier (by choice, I enjoyed eating healthy) and walking around campus/ upstairs etc...no consistent exercise plan or whatnot. Then by second year I gained it all back, I don't know how to be truthful. And here I am now just starting 3rd year and this is my 3rd week into the exercise routine. I have never been "skinny", it's just not in the cards for my body type...however just a few years ago I was 10-15 pounds lighter and I want to get back there!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-25-2008 - 8:44pm

That helps a lot, thanks.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-26-2008 - 10:52pm

Hi -I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but in addition to the adjustments that Jean mentioned, you might want to have your thyroid checked for hypothyroidism, which is an underactive thryoid. The frustration that you feel is so typical and sounds so familiar. I was working out 2 to 3 hours a day and eating really clean, not even a cookie and didn't lose a pound or an inch. That's actually what brought me to these boards! So I would also check out thyroid-info.com for the advice on testing, tsh levels and

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-29-2008 - 11:00pm

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply! And thanks for the suggestions!

I think I should try the food diary on my own, see how it goes. How long is it recommended to keep it up for?

Other then that, I'm going to give the routine a few more weeks. After 6 weeks I should see some kind of improvement.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-30-2008 - 7:11am

I only do it for a few days because my diet doesn't change that drastically from day to day. Then, you can see how many calories you're getting, whether your getting enough nutrients, etc.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-30-2008 - 8:10am

I agree with the other posters.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-05-2008 - 2:45pm
UPDATE:
Sooo I haven't weighed myself in a week now and yesterday after the gym I decided too. I was down almost 2 lbs!! YIPEE! I know it's not a lot but any loss is a good loss right now to keep me motivated lol :)
I know weight loss isn't the only benefit of exercise but it sure is a great motivator!!
Just thought I'd fill everyone in!!
Community Leader
Sun, 10-05-2008 - 8:10pm
Great job!

Pages