Burning Calories

iVillage Member
Burning Calories
Fri, 09-26-2008 - 10:40pm

Do you think that if you are very active during the day but don't eat a lot of calories for the day, then eat a good sized meal at the end of the day, your activity level for the day will burn off those calories, too? Do you know what I mean? Today, I ate my regular breakfast, about 200 calories, then my lunch, about 250 calories, a mid-afternoon snack, about 200 calories, then a snack on the way home from work - 200 calories.

I worked out for about 45 minutes this morning (cardio), then at the end of the day, before I ate my snack on the way home, I had to clean up our program space, which included vacuuming, washing tables, picking up junk from the floor, putting stuff away, etc. I did that for about 45 minutes to an hour. So when I came home and ate dinner, hot and sour soup and some rice, about 300 calories, then a piece of chocolate cake, about 300 calories, even though I've done nothing but sit and watch tv since I got home, am I burning or storing those last calories? Can anyone know that? LOL!! (See, this is why I'm here now. These are the things I think about!) Cathy :)

iVillage Member
In reply to: cathypem
Sat, 09-27-2008 - 8:43am
I think it comes down to calories in and calories out.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-27-2008 - 1:20pm

I always have such mixed feelings about calories - if that's possible! I go back and forth between thinking that it matters what type of calories we eat, eg, carbs

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-27-2008 - 1:35pm
I think there's so much we don't know about calories and, IMO, it does matter what kind of calories you eat, not just sheer number.