Hi all!

iVillage Member
Hi all!
Wed, 10-01-2008 - 9:27am

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking for awhile. I am trying to get back into a gym routine, and you all seem like a great group of people to talk to!

I have a spotty record with fitness. Oftentimes I will get into a good rhythm for a month or two, but then something happens (vacation, work, etc.) during the time I had scheduled to go and I let it all fall apart. I tend to get really interested in something for awhile (gym or hobby) and then I move on to a new interest. I definitely need more self-discipline.

I really understand that health & fitness is very important, and this time I want to make it stick. I have a heart rate monitor that I love for the cardio because it lets me do intervals, etc. to keep me interested. I'd also like to do weight training, and I need to overcome my shyness about using the weights when by myself. My boyfriend is VERY big into healthy eating and the gym, but I can't go with him because he goes at 6am and my body just can't get up that early...I tried it for a couple of weeks and was so sleep-deprived.

Well, I guess this is a pretty long post, so I'll stop. Hi! And I hope to get to know you as I progress!

iVillage Member
In reply to: ioveranalyze
Wed, 10-01-2008 - 11:20am
Hi!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-01-2008 - 1:51pm

Hi - it sounds like you have a lot going for you to be successful. Maybe you just get bored doing the same routine after a while. Try changing things up often. You can buy fitness magazines for ideas, check out Exercise on Demand if you have it on your cable, buy workout videos and dvds. Collage Video has an excellent selection: collagevideo.com, or check out ebay for good deals. Beachbody ha a buunch of different programs for different styles of workouts. I bet if you keep things interesting and challenging, you may be able to break through and stick with your workouts.

My other idea is to keep your workouts reasonable so that you can stick with it when your schedule changes. Try to plan a time period that will work for you no matter what, like 30 to 45 minutes, instead of a whole hour. Or if you want to workout for an hour, try 30 minutes in the am and 30 minutes in the pm. Hope this helps! Cathy :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-01-2008 - 8:05pm

Judging from your name, you and I must have a lot in common.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-02-2008 - 9:26am
Thanks, all! I appreciate the warm welcome and the wonderful ideas on how to stay active. It's good to know that variety in exercise is okay and that I don't have to do the same thing every day so long as I'm active! It is definitely motivating to read about you ladies staying fit and involved. Glad I found a good place here!
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-02-2008 - 12:53pm
Variety is the best way to go.