Puppy Power!

iVillage Member
Puppy Power!
Wed, 11-19-2008 - 9:39am
Hey guys - I got a new puppy and he has been keeping me busy. I think this is a great new form of exercise! I only get to sit about 10 minutes at a time. LOL!! We go out walking and running and he is constantly roaming the house. He's adorable. If I can upload a photo later on, I will. He's supposed to be down here with me now but prefers the upstairs so I have to run.
iVillage Member
In reply to: cathypem
Wed, 11-19-2008 - 9:54am

pictures! pictures!

have you ever housetrained a dog using a crate? it works really well.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-19-2008 - 11:14am
I want pictures, too!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-20-2008 - 7:51am

Awwww!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-20-2008 - 8:18am
I'll try to get the pictures up today. I can't bear to use the crate!! LOL! But as he gets more hard headed, it might start to look better!! Cathy
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-20-2008 - 9:39am

dogs like the crate, if you use it right. all the dogs i've ever crate trained would go in their crates voluntarily when they wanted quiet time and continued using at as their bed voluntarily once they were adults and housebroken and the door was never closed anymore. dogs also like it because they like knowing what to do, and crate training teaches them what to do - they don't have accidents in the house and don't end up feeling bad and confused about having accidents. dogs like being good dogs.

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-20-2008 - 11:16am

Congrats on your new addition! I have 2 dogs, and like them more than people sometimes!

Did the puppy pee and poop on all the walks? If he eats, 20 minutes later-he's gonna have to go-take him out and do not come in until you get that poop!! Praise him like he saved the world, and take him right in! Crate training is great, but make sure you watch him every second he is out-one mistake puts you right back to the beginning. Dogs are REALLY smart when trying NOT to learn a behavior-LOL!!!

My dogs sleep in their crates-by choice. It's a safe, quiet place that they feel is theirs. It's not mean at all.

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-20-2008 - 1:43pm

Hi - thanks for all the advice. My mistake on the pooping thing was to bring him in too soon!! I should have kept him out til he went, like you said. But I was freezing and couldn't take it anymore and figured he somehow lost the urge to poop!!! LOL! Wishful thinking!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-20-2008 - 1:46pm
I know you're absolutely right. And i thought i would use it. I even told the woman we got him from that i would, that's why Ihave one. She gave it to me. But I look at his little face and just don't want to put him in there. LOL!! I know it's not mean.