Sore Hip Rx?

iVillage Member
Sore Hip Rx?
Mon, 12-01-2008 - 11:55am

Many of you know I was experiencing some pretty significant knee problems last spring. I went to physical therapy for a while and my PT explained that the problem was actually my hip which was not aligned correctly and the pain was manifesting down the kinetic chain in my knee. She had me do some closed chain exercises and of course, I got orthotics.

I've had my orthotics since June and I'm pretty well used to them at this point. My knee pain has pretty much subsided although I do tend to get inflamed bursas fairly frequently. What I'm noticing now is that when I do long bouts of cardio, I get sore in the hip that was misaligned. DH and I hiked for about 2 hours on Saturday and my hip has been rather sore ever since. My friend and I walk his dogs usually every week and it's about 4 miles/one hour of walking at a pretty brisk pace and I'm usually somewhat sore after that.

I am stretching it and I foam-rolled it this morning. I think that helped but it's still pretty sore (and it's just the one side).

Any thoughts or suggestions? I figure I'm probably doing what I can do for a sore muscle but thought I'd ask. Thanks!

iVillage Member
In reply to: gymrat76
Mon, 12-01-2008 - 12:40pm
Is it a hip flexor thing? Have you seen a doctor?

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-01-2008 - 1:04pm

I wish I had the answer for this. My client strained her hip flexor last week and strangely enough, squats don't aggravate it, but pushups do (?!?!?!)

I'm having her warm up with tons of joint mobility and foam rolling and regular static stretching, and I'm sure ice would be good too, but I wouldn't really want to put ice near those parts of my body.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-01-2008 - 9:16pm
If she's had a baby, she might have had ice in closer places than that.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-02-2008 - 10:01am
I don't know if it's a hip flexor thing and no, I haven't seen a doctor. I was thinking of sending my physical therapist a note to see what she thinks about it. It's definitely a muscular strain.
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-02-2008 - 10:04am
I would guess that her hip flexors are being used with her core and as we all know, push-ups do require a lot of core.
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-08-2008 - 9:24pm
I have pain in my right hip every now and then and try not to aggravate it when I sleep. I notice that if I sleep flat on my stomach, it really hurts my hip. So I'll bend that knee in or sleep on my side. So my point is to be careful that you aren't inflaming it while you're sleeping, too. I wish I had other advice but