iVillage Member
Protein Shakes/Smoothie
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 11:08pm

SO my DH

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-15-2009 - 8:06am

You definitely want to replenish your body after a workout but I'd check on those shakes. A lot of them are high in calories.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-15-2009 - 8:23am

One of my gym instructors told me that there was a clinical study done in MI proving the benefits of replenishing protein and carbs within 2 hours of a workout.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-15-2009 - 2:15pm

I'm going to be the dissenting opinion and here's why: Post-workout, your body is depleted and the faster you replenish it with nutrients, the faster (and better) you'll recover. Protein shakes are good for this because they require less digestion than real food (as they are liquid) and less digestion means that the nutrients are available to your body more quickly.

The caveat here is to BE AWARE of the macronutrients that are in the smoothies/shakes at your gym. If they're worth their salt, they should have it posted. Theoretically, you *should* be able to find something that is low enough calorie to meet your needs.

This is probably the only time that I will advocate such things over real food.

Bottom line: shake or food, consume SOMETHING after you work out. Your body will thank you.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-15-2009 - 3:36pm

This makes so much sense. Thanks for your input- this is why I love these boards. I believe

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 8:02am
I guess I'm more leary of protein drinks because it seems like they load them with pseudo nutrients that haven't been shown to do anything but are the newest buzz words, as you said.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 1:38pm

just because it is processed in a blender doesn't mean it's not real food. i think a smoothie made with JUST frozen fruit and soymilk (or milk but i'm not going to endorse that) is "real food" and is a healthy way to get your fruit in your diet.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 5:38pm

ok, i'm almost afraid to ask why you don't endorse milk.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-18-2009 - 9:54pm

don't worry, i don't endorse organic milk either, though i'm sure it's better for you than regular milk without the antibiotics and hormones.

i am against milk primarily for ethical reasons. the milk industry is cruel to the dairy cows and to their offspring, many of which end up in veal crates for their entire short lives.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 10:21am

I have to agree with Jen, regarding what is considered a smoothie.

I used to be against protein shakes for the reasons Jean listed but our options for what go into these has come a long way. How good or bad a shake/smoothie is has everything to do with what goes into them. The more common protein powders do tend to be high in calories and have all sorts of crazy, lab-created ingredients.

Myself, I make smoothies from frozen fruit, cold pressed hemp powder, banana or agave nectar as sweetener, greens powder (straight up dehydrated powdered greens - no other processing) and water or soy milk (depending on how high I want the calories to be), sometimes some flax oil. Soft silken tofu and yogurt are good protein options, as is nut butter along with ground flax).

Soleilune
Soleilune
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 6:32pm
I haven't had a chance to read everyone else's answers but ... I think if it's a low calorie protein shake, then it could be good for you if you've just done a good weight workout. If it's just full of sugar and not much else, it's not worth it. Cathy

Pages