How often-

iVillage Member
How often-
Sat, 02-28-2009 - 9:19pm

do you change up your routine? I have been doing pretty much the same things for a few months and though I figure I should probably switch things up- I like what I do kwim?

Curious on how often you all change things up, and how drastic do you change things?

Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: sillymammakim
Sun, 03-01-2009 - 4:46pm
I usually change things up every 4 to 6 weeks. I get bored if I don't. I'm due for a change now but I'm trying
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 8:17am

Hi Kim, and welcome to gymrats!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 8:21am
With my clients, I change their workouts every six weeks. With my own workouts, it's more often and less formal. I notice that I just seem to phase things in and out. I'll think of a variation of something, find an exercise in a magazine and then next time, that replaces whatever I was doing before. If it works, I'll keep it. If not, I'll go back to whatever I was doing.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 8:48am
I change activities with the seasons and am constantly changing what I do anyway, out of boredom.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 9:40am

SO how much should I change? Whole program?

Right now I do a body pump total body weight class which is pretty much the same ALL the time. I use the elliptical, but vary programs amd resistance, occasional step mill, occasional spin (when I wake for it), treadmill only when I am in pain or discomfort. When I do my own weights I do pretty much the same stuff for fear of doing anything new wrong.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 9:42am
Oh I love opinions...thanks for sharing. I'm actually not totally new here. I pop in and out a lot- think we may have even had a similar discussion not terribly long ago, just couldnt locate it.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 10:11am

The biggest question is whether you're happy with how you look and feel. If you are, then you could keep doing your program and would maintain where you are.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 10:41am

Thanks Jean- thats exactly what I was looking to find out. My gym has a lot of men, which I know I shouldnt be intimitated by, but I am. So I try to get in and out of the weight area as quick as I can, kwim? When I was in Vegas I saw agirl do push ups with an exercise ball and a Bosu- talk about core training!

Do you remember our post a LONG time ago about steel oats? I finally tried them, not my all time fave but ok. I found I had to add quite a bit more water than directions called for. Do you?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 10:56am

There's nothing more cool than being the woman who knows what she's doing in the free weights room and not afraid to pick up heavier weights.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-02-2009 - 12:59pm

Is it the fiber that is supposed to be good for us? Or is there another benefit that I'm missing.

Thus far, I have not yet developed an affection for steel cut oats. But, if they are REALLY good for me, I might be motivated to try again.

Pages