Double up?

iVillage Member
Double up?
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 11:11am

Well here is my problem....I've been having a really hard time fitting fitness into my schedule and I'm working hard to make exercise a priority. I

iVillage Member
In reply to: jennybenny27
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 11:21am

I think you run the risk of getting into weekend-warrior syndrome. It is generally not a good idea to have long periods of rest followed by really strenuous activity. Our bodies tend not to react too well to that.

That being said, every *body* is different and yours may accommodate your schedule just fine. Keep in mind that your second class will probably suffer to some degree because you will be pre-exhausted from the first class. And, your body will probably not perform as well if you do a class tonight and then again in the morning (not enough time to recover). Also, keep an eye out for overuse injuries.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 12:55pm
I think doubling up on classes like a strength class followed by a step class is a great way to fit it in (assuming you've been working out and feel okay with it--if you're brand new, do one then eventually add the other).

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-28-2009 - 1:13pm
I think you should try it to see if you can do it - that is, you feel ok with the intensity and you're not too sore to work out again the next day. It sounds like it makes sense to me. The only thing you'd want to be careful of is overuse injuries - too much step, too much weight training without a break in between - so I'd try to vary your workouts as much as possible when you're going to do them like that. Then do some shorter workouts in between when you have the time. You don't want to be a weekend warrior on Saturday and Sunday, then just veg out during the week. Even some light workouts like walking would help keep you limber and in good shape til your weekend rolls back around. I didn't get a chance to read anyone else's answer so i'm sorry if this is redundant. Good luck!! Cathy